2016 Cal24 Rally

keithu

• Premium Member
This week I registered for the Cal24 Rally on June 11-12. This is a 24 hour endurance rally, and there is also a 12 hour option. I've ridden many Cal24 events dating back to 1995. Every one has been an amazing experience.

What is an endurance rally? It's basically a scavenger hunt with a ~1000 base route over the course of 24 hours. If that sounds extreme consider that 1000 miles in 24 hours requires an average speed of just 42mph. Thousands of people have completed the Iron Butt Association's Saddlesore 1000.

While it's possible to do a Saddlesore on a boring freeway drone, that's not what the Cal24 Rally is about at all. In the five Cal events I've ridden I'd say less than 10% of the miles were on interstates. On these events I've experienced deserts, mountains, forests, and coastlines. I've visited caves, ghost towns, museums, and parks. I've ridden Tioga Pass at dawn, and Death Valley at sunset. I once even kayaked on Lake Tahoe during a Cal24 Rally. I've ridden all over the US west, yet I see new places and ride new roads every single rally.

If anyone else is interested, go to Cal24.com. It'd be great to see some other FJs there! The start/finish this year will be in Minden, Nevada. Not California, I know, but the rally typically involves a mix of roads in CA and the bordering states.

• 2 months later...
This week I registered for the Cal24 Rally on June 11-12. This is a 24 hour endurance rally, and there is also a 12 hour option. I've ridden many Cal24 events dating back to 1995. Every one has been an amazing experience. 
What is an endurance rally? It's basically a scavenger hunt with a ~1000 base route over the course of 24 hours. If that sounds extreme consider that 1000 miles in 24 hours requires an average speed of just 42mph. Thousands of people have completed the Iron Butt Association's Saddlesore 1000.

While it's possible to do a Saddlesore on a boring freeway drone, that's not what the Cal24 Rally is about at all. In the five Cal events I've ridden I'd say less than 10% of the miles were on interstates. On these events I've experienced deserts, mountains, forests, and coastlines. I've visited caves, ghost towns, museums, and parks. I've ridden Tioga Pass at dawn, and Death Valley at sunset. I once even kayaked on Lake Tahoe during a Cal24 Rally. I've ridden all over the US west, yet I see new places and ride new roads every single rally.

If anyone else is interested, go to Cal24.com. It'd be great to see some other FJs there! The start/finish this year will be in Minden, Nevada. Not California, I know, but the rally typically involves a mix of roads in CA and the bordering states.

I'd love to do something like this in the future! Let me know if any other events arise in California. ????????

Archived