SoCal Riders - Join our ride April 8-10!!!!

zachd

Hey SoCal riders! My buddy and I will be heading out on a fantastic 3 day ride next weekend (April 8-10) and would love to extend an invite for anyone who wants to join. We will be camping both evenings, but you can snag a hotel if you want, or rough it like a real man! (or simply come out for the day) This is going to be a fantastic ride with lots of nice curves along the way. Please don't hesitste to join us!

The route is as follows:

Friday, April 10: Leave Phoenix, ride to Slab City, CA...which is a trippy, folky, lawless, squatter town near the Salton Sea. Check it out here: http://hiddensandiego.net/slab-city.php  From there, we head into the mountain town of Julien, where we will grab some lunchtime beers at Nickel Beer Company. We will then head to Palomar Mountain, and be camping there for the evening.

Scoot Map Day 1:
Only showing the Cali portion of the ride, as Cali guys wouldn't be leaving from PHX with us.

hT2dFEt.png

Saturday April 11, Day 2: We'll start the morning off with breakfast in Palomar, then check out the Palomar Observatory before heading North through Mountain Center, and continue North towards Big Bear. We will stop in Forest Falls for some lunch, then continue on our way to Joshua Tree National Park where we will camp for the night. 

Scoot Map Day 2: 
eboLxgG.png

• Premium Member
Looks like a fun ride over some nice roads. I was hoping to join in for part of the ride (at least the Julian & Palomar sections) but I need to be in LA then (and not even with my bike). Maybe another time. Enjoy!

You can ride from Beaumount up Oak Glen to El Mexicano rather than going to Redlands and up 39. It's a little nicer that direction- less freeway and you get out of town faster.

If you want some adventure you can go farther west on 60 to Gilman Springs rd, then south to Jack Rabbit trail. Thats a semi-paved semi gravel road that climbs up the ridge and comes out on 60. I've ridden it a number of times on a road bicycle with racing tires. However if it's rained recently I'd skip it- there's a couple places that turn into mud holes.

• 3 weeks later...
How was it? Photos?

We had to cancel it due to the crazy rain storm that came in that weekend. Didn't want to ride unfamiliar mountain roads in those conditions having the prior knowledge of the massive rain that was coming in. We rescheduled it to next weekend. However we couldn't get the Friday off again, so we're headed out on the 30th and 1st. Having to cancel out riding up to Big Bear, unfortunately due to the time constraints now. I love that ride up to there too.

So April 30 and May 1 is the new dates for this ride!

Archived