Best years for Ninja rear shock swaps?

justplainbill

I'm planning to go the ZX10R or ZX6R rear shock route, but would like to know the range of years for ZX10 and ZX6 best suited to use in the FJ-09. By best suited, I'm thinking of just the fitment issues: eye center to eye center distance, spring and reservoir clearance. By narrowing it down to those that will fit (with minimal modification) I can search for one with low miles, hopefully in excellent condition. Maybe as nice as the one Papac2000 scored.

Thanks,

Bill 

all you want to know has been cataloged over at the FZ forum. The FJ is 50lbs heavier so the spring suitability gets revised downward.

But the executive summary is
05-06 Kawasaki ZX6R (Preload/Stepless Rebound/Compression) minor modifications needed for install

05-06 Kawasaki ZX6RR (Preload/Stepless Rebound/HS Compression/LS Compression) minor modifications needed for install
Spring Rate: 10.3 kg/mm [575 lb/in]
Adjustability: Preload, Stepless Rebound Dampening, High-Speed & Low-Speed Compression Dampening
Eye-to-eye Length: 330mm [13"] (Identical to stock)
Upper Mount Width: 30mm [1-3/16"] (Identical to stock)
Upper Mount Hole Diameter: Ø10mm [Ø3/8"] (Identical to stock)
Lower Mount Width: 30mm [1-3/16"] (Identical to stock)
Lower Mount Hole Diameter: Ø10mm [Ø3/8"] (Stock = 12mm)

07-08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Preload/Rebound/HS Compression/LS Compression) suspension linkage needs to be shaved
10mm longer than stock, when fully unloaded the spring (2.25") is likely to kiss and bind the linkage
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/michaelward138/A08B356A-1449-4456-848B-764B90BF4ED3_zpsaapdqjjl.jpg

08-10 Kawasaki ZX10R (Preload/HS Compression/LS Compression) minor cutting of plastic fairing below the tank
1/4" longer c/c and has a 510 lb/in spring (ed. much too low)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/17/e7y6asu4.jpg

The one I have is an 05-06 ZX10 I was told. It is 8mm longer and the bottom clevis hole is also smaller than the FJ. At full droop there will be very light contact of thr spring to the linkage. I added more photos to my thread
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 1 year later...
Got a chance at a low mileage 2014 zx6r, would it fit ok, and spring rate be ok ? (215 geared up)
per (some FZ09 forum)/forum/14-fz-09-performance-suspension/10700-13-15-zx6r-rear-shock.html you'll need to do some grinding, the extra length could be problematic, the spring rate isn't even close, and therefore the valving is going to be incorrect. 
You'll want a 110N/mm spring in any event (625lb/in, 11.2kg/mm).

Got a chance at a low mileage 2014 zx6r, would it fit ok, and spring rate be ok ? (215 geared up)
per (some FZ09 forum)/forum/14-fz-09-performance-suspension/10700-13-15-zx6r-rear-shock.html you'll need to do some grinding, the extra length could be problematic, the spring rate isn't even close, and therefore the valving is going to be incorrect. 
You'll want a 110N/mm spring in any event (625lb/in, 11.2kg/mm).
Thanks, sounds like im better off with the tried and tested easier shock conversion's 

if your looking to keep cost down, Norwest Suspension can re-shim the rear OEM shock...
I'm in the UK  ;) I could get my shock fettled but thinking, would I be better off with a higher spec shock with comp adjustment

Any shock with preload rings (not the ramp) can generally re-use the FJ springs. You may need a spacer to get the rings in the usable range or deal with mismatched ID. You can use a ramped shock too but the spacer is a little bit more fiddly.

I'm not aware of any ZX6 shock that comes anywhere remotely close to the right spring rate for re-using on the FZ/FJ09 application.

Archived