Competition coming - A Street Triple sports tourer?

johan

• Premium Member
From MCN, discussing rumours of a new 800cc Street Triple coming in 2017:

"Unlike the current range, where the Street Triple, Street Triple R and Street Triple RX all use the same engine spec, the new line-up will have three power levels. Even in base trim the new engine is projected to make 110bhp – up from 106bhp for the current 675cc motor despite carrying the emissions-reduction equipment needed to meet 2017’s Euro4 restrictions. The 2017 Street Triple R will make 125bhp as well as gaining radial Nissin brakes and adjustable Showa suspension instead of the entry-level non-adjustable Kayaba kit.

The RX model is set to be dropped and instead the new range will get two higher-spec bikes, both using a 125bhp version of the engine. The Street Triple RT will be a sports-tourer, with ‘R’ spec Showa suspension and brakes plus a screen, a bellypan, a tyre pressure monitoring system and the option of a half-fairing. Meanwhile the range will be topped by a new RS model using Öhlins suspension and Brembo brakes, just like the Speed Triple R."

That RT sounds like a tasty prospect...

• Premium Member
Sounds exciting... but wonder if Triumph can keep the price tag down enough to sway would be bargain hunters. There were certainly bikes I would have picked over the FJ if i were prepared to part with much more money. I think the FJ is king at its price point, and shortcomings are fixable for pretty cheap.
agree - I think I spent about £700 on heated grips, seat, screen and luggage to get the bike into a comfortable package suited to everyday and touring use. The seat & screen can be sold on if I change the bike and the luggage cases used on other bikes so not much money to be written off for the accessories. 
I like the idea of owning a Triumph and I have come close in the past, so it's an itch to scratch. Like you, I am not confident they will be able to make the bike attractive to own and achieve a price point of under £9500 to include any add ons I would want (assuming they do a luggage free version I could bung my existing Givi/Kappa stuff onto)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I'd guess £9,500. It's got to come in under the Speed Triple and probably replace a discontinued Sprint. Maybe they can do the same with a Speed Triple as well. Although they seem to have firmly ditched sport touring in favour of "adventure touring".

• Premium Member
Um, have you guys seen the Tiger Sport:

http://m.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/adventure-and-touring/Tiger/2016/New-Tiger-Sport

Although it's branded as a "Tiger" it's clearly a sport tourer along the lines of the FJ/Tracer and the S1000XR. It's priced at £10,300 and is based on the chain-drive Speed Triple instead of the Tiger Explorer shafty. It reminds me of the T300 Sprints from the 1990s.

From MCN, discussing rumours of a new 800cc Street Triple coming in 2017: 
"The 2017 Street Triple R will make 125bhp as well as gaining radial Nissin brakes and adjustable Showa suspension instead of the entry-level non-adjustable Kayaba kit."

Incorrect MCN! The Street Triple R has always (since 2009) had radial Nissan brakes and adjustable (rebound & compression, but not high speed comp) suspension.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I like the Yamaha engine and gearbox better.

And imagine if the FJ09 had a 1050cc triple, not 200cc's less? I imagine it would make more power, easy.

The price point is hard to beat with the FJ09.

And the headlight on the Triumph looks like it's off a 2006 Aprilla Tuono.

I owned a Street Triple for 5 years and loved it; tested a couple of Tigers a while back, the 800 and the 1050 Sport and was disappointed with the engine so that could be interesting.
They just put on the market a brand new 1050 Tiger Sport so maybe they're aiming at the FJ09/Tracer.

• Premium Member
Bulky exhaust, no centre stand...
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the muffler location, and a centerstand is important. OTOH, it has cruise control and the single-sided swingarm is nice.

Archived