Natchez Trace Parkway

onsite

• Premium Member
Enjoyed a nice 1400 mile ride in March (the week before Easter).
Started out south of Atlanta about 4pm on Saturday and traveled I-85 to Montgomery, AL. Then followed Hwy 80 west to Selma, AL.  It was pretty windy so I stopped for the night.  Temps in 50's.

Sunday, I continued west along Hwy 80, until I reached I-20 near Meridian, MS.  I was under-dressed with just cheap rain gear so stopped at Bass Pro Shop and bought some thick Under Armour long pants. They really helped but the wind was a nightmare.  I can usually deal with pot holes and road hazards but invisible crosswinds literally shoved me into adjacent lanes. I was in constant stress trying to avoid trucks and cars when the wind hit. Difficult to exceed 70 mph and that's too slow for interstate.

Made it to Natchez, MS, by dark and was thrilled to see the river.  Dropped my Givi Outback hard cases and River Road tail bag (actually a large sissy bar bag that holds all my clothing quite well) at hotel and crossed over into Lousianna for some dinner.  Enjoyed a little night riding to see the town. The FJ felt like a hummingbird without the luggage.            ---I really love riding that bike.

It was a cold Monday morning so I enjoyed the Hampton Inn until about 11am then loaded up. I entered the south end of the Natchez Trace Parkway and began my journey toward Nashville.  The day was gorgeous and I stopped at several historic sites. The Trace is 440 miles of parkway without a single stop sign or traffic light (there was a temporary light in the center of the bridge crossing the Tennessee River due to a closed lane being repaired) and the adjacent lands are beautiful national park property. Posted speed limit was 50 mph so I was passed by several cars that I presume were locals. No heavy traffic anywhere and the trees kept the wind away.  I stopped for the night in Tupelo, MS.  Usually rode about 350 miles per day. 

I was carrying camping gear but found it too cool so used my iPhone each afternoon to book a room. 

Tuesday ride was also terrific weather and I stopped at visitor centers and historic sites. My favorite was the Meriwether Lewis Park which monuments his death and burial. I included that in my itinerary as I am also a surveyor.   The road was under construction at this point and required about a 20 mile detour. Still interesting but stark contrast to the beauty of the parkway. The north 50 miles or so were really nice twisties as you come up the hills toward Nashville.

Made it to the north end of the Trace before dark and then headed east to Murfreesboro, TN.  Being thrust into the Nashville traffic of I-24 was a shock after two leasurely days of riding on the parkway.  The crosswinds and tractor trailers welcomed me with open arms.

I was in Murfreesboro for the rest of the week attending a Land Surveyors Conference so got to do some more site seeing. Stones River Battlefield was impressive.

My poor FJ-09 sat in the rain Thursday and Friday as I hid out at the Embassy Suites conference center. I kept checking on it as I feared someone might run over it or steal it.  It remained steady until needed. 

After the conference ended Saturday afternoon, I followed old Hwy-41 through the mountains to Monteagle then Chattanooga.  Spent the night with my mother in north Georgia and then traveled Hwy-411 south to Cartersville, GA, and I-75 to Atlanta.  Light rain all day. 

I was very impressed by the FJ-09. I bought it with 4,000 miles but it now tops 10,000.  No problem carrying a load. Mileage was reduced from normal 50 mpg to about 44. Not sure if that was due to load or wind. 

I really considered my seat options as it gets pretty hard after 8 hours. Nice that you can drive FJ standing when you need a stretch.

Buzzing hand grips would be my biggest complaint.  Might need to try Grip Puppies.
Not sure if I could ride all day without throttle lock.  I use the nice black Omni-Cruise and really like it. 

Awesome trip. Ride the Natchez Trace if you get the chance.  Oh yeah!  Watch your fuel level.  I was glad to have a spare liter bottle a few times.

• Premium Member
4525600.jpg

4525601.jpg

4525602.jpg

4525603.jpg

Blew my budget preparing for this trip:
Shoei GT Air Cog (from local Yamaha shop)
Sedici Lorenzo boots (from Cycle Gear - Marietta, GA)
Givi hard case frames (from Revzilla)
Givi 37 liter Outback Trekkers (from Revzilla)
Yikes !   Better not buy anything else til June

• Premium Member
Nice ride, and that is very pretty country. I grew up in Alabama, and used to ride all around your route!

Archived