May 3-10, 2016 trip from Lacombe, Alberta to Meridian, Idaho

kroc

I had a great ride down to visit my sister in Meridian, Idaho and for my nieces convocation from Boise State.  I rode from Lacombe, Alberta, to Ponderay, Idaho via Banff, Radium Hot Springs, Cranbrook, BC, and Bonner's Ferry, Idaho.  From Ponderay I went through Moscow, Idaho, Lewiston, Grangeville, New Meadows, Riggins, McCall, Donnelly, and then into Eagle, ID, and finally into Meridian.   The ride down was good with nice weather.  Highway 55 from New Meadows into Eagle is a fun ride with lots of twisty roads as the road follows the Payette river (I think it is the Payette River). 

The dry bags from my Yamaha soft side cases work great as ice coolers for beer, while my ram mount connector did a bang up job as a beer cap remover.  

The ride home was a lot colder and with rain and show.  Leaving Meridian on May 9 it was about 7-10 C.  Once I hit Kooskia, ID it was raining and the temps were around 5-8 C.  It then rained from Kooskia to just outside of Missoula, Montana on my way overnight to Kalispell, MT.  I wasn't sure what I was getting into as I crossed the Lolo Pass.  There was a big yellow sign that warned motorcyclists to use extreme caution.  There wasn't snow on the road, but the temperature was about 2-3 C and there was a combination of rain, sleet, and snow.  I had a hard time keeping my visor clear of accumulating snow and sleet.  I eventually made it to Kalispell for the night.  The next day was nicer, i.e. there was no rain, but it was still cold 5-15 C and extremely windy going up Highway 22 to Nanton, AB after going by Fernie and Sparwood, BC.  The wind knocked the hell out of my and at times I was leaning into the wind.  After Nanton, I stayed on Highway 2 up to Lacombe.  

The ride home was cold and wet at times, but I was still on the bike enjoying life.  

Kelly

IMG_4359_zpszyjzelfc.jpg
Bike is loaded up and ready to leave Lacombe on May 3, 2016.

IMG_4361_zpsiployh6m.jpg
Just after crossing from British Columbia into Idaho and North of Bonner's Ferry

IMG_4364_zpsrrmoximy.jpg
The dry bags from my Yamaha soft side cases make a great beer cooler

IMG_4366_zpsxl4xxjec.jpg

My ram mount connector works well as a beer cap remover

IMG_4416_zpsupw34clx.jpg
Just east of Kooskia, Idaho, heading towards the Lolo Pass in Montana on my way to Kalispell

I live in Meridian. Wish I had known, would have bought you a beer!

I had a great ride down to visit my sister in Meridian, Idaho and for my nieces convocation from Boise State.  I road from Lacombe, Alberta, to Ponderay, Idaho via Banff, Radium Hot Springs, Cranbrook, BC, and Bonner's Ferry, Idaho.  From Ponderay I went through Moscow, Idaho, Lewiston, Grangeville, New Meadows, Riggins, McCall, Donnelly, and then into Eagle, ID, and finally into Meridian.   The ride down was good with nice weather.  Highway 55 from New Meadows into Eagle is a fun ride with lots of twisty roads as the road follows the Payette river (I think it is the Payette River).  
The dry bags from my Yamaha soft side cases work great as ice coolers for beer, while my ram mount connector did a bang up job as a beer cap remover.  

The ride home was a lot colder and with rain and show.  Leaving Meridian on May 9 it was about 7-10 C.  Once I hit Kooskia, ID it was raining and the temps were around 5-8 C.  I then rained from Kooskia to just outside of Missoula, Montana on my way overnight to Kalispell, MT.  I wasn't sure what I was getting into as I crossed the Lolo Pass.  There was a big yellow sign that warned motorcyclist to use extreme caution.  There wasn't snow on the road, but the temperature was about 2-3 C and there was a combination of rain, sleet, and snow.  I had a hard time keeping my visor clear of accumulating snow and sleet.  I eventually made it to Kalispell for the night.  The next day was nicer, i.e. there was no rain, but it was still cold 5-15 C and extremely windy going up Highway 22 to Nanton, AB after going by Fernie and Sparwood, BC.  The wind knocked the hell out of my and at times I was leaning into the wind.  After Nanton, I stayed on Highway 2 up to Lacombe.  

The ride home was cold and wet at times, but I was still on the bike enjoying life.  

Kelly

IMG_4359_zpszyjzelfc.jpg
Bike is loaded up and ready to leave Lacombe on May 3, 2016.

IMG_4361_zpsiployh6m.jpg
Just after crossing from British Columbia into Idaho and North of Bonner's Ferry

IMG_4364_zpsrrmoximy.jpg
The dry bags from my Yamaha soft side cases make a great beer cooler

IMG_4366_zpsxl4xxjec.jpg

My ram mount connector works well as a beer cap remover

IMG_4416_zpsupw34clx.jpg
Just east of Kooskia, Idaho, heading towards the Lolo Pass in Montana on my way to Kalispell

Looks like you are a Trailer Park Boys fan!  My sister lives close to Snake River Yamaha and the Cycle gear place.  The last time I rode down was on my 1994 KLR650 in fall 2013.  I spent a bit of money at Happy Trails and Cycle Gear and then again when I was down for Thanksgiving in 2014.  

This last trip I left my digital camera in the gas station on the west side of the road as you head into Donnelly. When I took the pic east of Kooskia I discovered I was missing my camera so had to use the iphone.  Checked later that evening with my sister and the station still had the camera. My brother-in-laws aunt has a cabin at Donnelly and she picked up the camera and my brother-in-laws mom and dad also have a cabin (the compound) at Donnelly.  They were up to the cabin and brought the camera back to my sister.  

Archived