Is my chain done for? Approaching 14K miles.

Hello everyone.

My FJ is approaching 14K miles and I've never replaced the chain.  I'll admit I haven't treated it greatly.  I went on a 6000 mile trip with only degreasing once and lubing twice.  Anyway, I noticed on a long trip home from Laughlin that it was making some serious noise.  Looked a little loose so I thought I'd tighten it up.  When doing so, I noticed when rotating the tire on certain parts of the chain was more difficult then others.  Some lube helped it some, but it's acting strange on certain parts of the chain.

I may just take it in, but it's pretty loud when I rode it down the street to see if my tension fixed the issue.  I took a short video of it, not sure how much ti helps when its on the stand.  Thoughts? 

Hello everyone. 
My FJ is approaching 14K miles and I've never replaced the chain.  I'll admit I haven't treated it greatly.  I went on a 6000 mile trip with only degreasing once and lubing twice.  Anyway, I noticed on a long trip home from Laughlin that it was making some serious noise.  Looked a little loose so I thought I'd tighten it up.  When doing so, I noticed when rotating the tire on certain parts of the chain was more difficult then others.  Some lube helped it some, but it's acting strange on certain parts of the chain.

I may just take it in, but it's pretty loud when I rode it down the street to see if my tension fixed the issue.  I took a short video of it, not sure how much ti helps when its on the stand.  Thoughts? 

My first OEM chain went 14K, made lots of noise and caused some serious vibration, and blackened the chain with metal dust.  My second chain is at 15K and is starting to show that it has had it too.  I ordered a new chain (EK MVXZ 525-110) and sprockets in hopes that they would be here today, 3K ride starts tomorrow morning.  And I lubed the chain after rides of 250-500+ religiously, with Chain Wax.  Will try another lube on the new chain.  Others do chain maintenance immediately after their rides, and a practice I am doing now. To you question:  Yes your chain is toast.  Start over with new. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
If you haven't been caring for the chain properly, 14K isn't unusual to start having issues. I would replace the chain as well as the sprockets. Properly cared for, chains can last around 25K-30K

What you have observed is also known as a "tight spot". I noticed one on my bike as well. Sometimes they work themselves out - but other times it is the beginning of the end of the life of the chain.

I'm going to order a new one and replace.

RedFJ- what kind of chain did you use the 2nd time to replace the OE chain? Sprockets too?

-Skip

• 3 months later...
I just replaced my chain at 13000km. I have always used o-ring safe lube, but my O-rings where coming out of the chain and Yamaha Canada did not care. I was not very happy with them.
The aftermarket chain seemed to be better quality and heavier.

I just replaced my chain at 13000km. I have always used o-ring safe lube, but my O-rings where coming out of the chain and Yamaha Canada did not care. I was not very happy with them. The aftermarket chain seemed to be better quality and heavier.
Sorry to hear it. FWIW, a too tight a chain (like Yamaha's stupid tight spec) will cause a chain to fail prematurely in exactly the matter you described. 

You should look at the sprocket teeth as well. The teeth wear out and lean in one direction. It looks to me you chain is over tightened. There are threads on adjusting chain, about 1" slack (I think) in the bottom run with the bike on center stand.

Lubing an O-ring chain is primarily to keep it from rusting. With O-ring chain, the lube cannot get past the O-rings.

• Premium Member
Same here. My chain has 13K miles and it is about done. It has stretched in some areas but not much in others, so as I rotate the wheel the chain slack loosens and tightens as it goes around. The difference in slack is about 1.5 inches.

The drive sprocket just barely shows signs of wear, so I will replace it too.

The rear sprocket shows no wear so I am keeping it.

I will use a long life chain.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Archived