One step away!

Wait... are there people under the impression that the FJ-09 is an adventure bike? I thought it was light weight sport touring...? Yammy calls it "super sport touring" O_o  
Are people buying the FJ-09 and taking them off-road or on fire roads?

I will be using mine on dirt roads. I have traded the stock rubber pre-delivery for TKC80s. I will be looking to get some belly protection, not so much for full contact but to stop damage from flying rock. We have a lot of torn-up chip seal that gets re-worked every summer. I will be putting on a front fender extender and very likely a larger rear hugger. I expect to ride the FJ the same way I do my Super Tenere. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Phil Hill? Yeah he's a nice guy. I'm a big F-1 fan and i see him get interviewed sometime each year. Great career. Schumacher i absolutely loved him. I had too because i'm a Ferrari fan. When i saw he was leaving Benetton for Ferrari i was mad. But with time i saw what he did with the team. Brought it back to success. Don't forget he was not alone though. Also he benefited from a great car for many years not only at Ferrari but Benetton too. The way he acted with Damon and Jacques for championships, i don't approve that at all. That's what has always made me think that he's not that of a great champion, good driver?, oh yes.

Now for Gilles, he was born 45 minutes away from where i live and saw his brother Jacques Sr trying to keep Gilles's way of doing things alive all his life. He now has cancer and wants to be back in snowmobile racing. Crazy guy. Does not know pain and the fear of going fast. The Villeneuves are well known for that. Each year at the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivieres he managed to find a Formula Atlantic car and a team and give a lesson at regular guys of the series. Most of the time the car did not handle his way of driving too well but what a guy to see race the time he would last on the track.

I was 6, now 38, when Gilles died and i remember where i was that day! Over the years i visited the museum a couple of times and will again to keep the legend alive in my heart. He was reckless. He was racing for the fastest lap and not championships. That's what some people did not like about him. But Gilles was racing for the spectators..... He was really faithful and respectful of everybody around him. He could have won the championship in 1979 but stayed behond Jody. He followed the team rules loyally. It was his greatest quality(loyalty) but also his weakness because he could not understand that people would always "return the favor". We all know about that infamous Monza race.... Read his biography written by Gerald Donaldson. The best one.

So don't just look at statistics, Gilles did not have a chance, except in 1979, to drive a good car. What he did with them............wow man.. Others drivers watched him by the fence trying to understand how he could manage to stay on track in certain curves. I could go on but i'll stop for now. Read the biography!

By the way i sealed the deal 2 days ago guys. A grey one with 2 year warranty and soft bags. Won't be riding until May. April if we are lucky enough. So far the winter is really cold this year. We'll see.

Wait... are there people under the impression that the FJ-09 is an adventure bike? I thought it was light weight sport touring...? Yammy calls it "super sport touring" O_o  
Are people buying the FJ-09 and taking them off-road or on fire roads?

I will be using mine on dirt roads. I have traded the stock rubber pre-delivery for TKC80s. I will be looking to get some belly protection, not so much for full contact but to stop damage from flying rock. We have a lot of torn-up chip seal that gets re-worked every summer. I will be putting on a front fender extender and very likely a larger rear hugger. I expect to ride the FJ the same way I do my Super Tenere.
Ah, OK, yeah definitely need different tires. What about suspension? Are you thinking of swapping that out to get better dirt performance?   

I had the FJ on a washboard dirt road the other day and it tried to beat me to death. It's not like the bike is going to suddenly crash and it's OK on a smooth gravel road but no way is the FJ any kind of adventure bike.
How many miles do you have on your FJ? And have you done any fine tuning of your suspension? The Super Tenere was harsh right out of the box... it took a few thousand Kilometers before it smoothed out... then it took a bit of adjusting... 

I had the FJ on a washboard dirt road the other day and it tried to beat me to death. It's not like the bike is going to suddenly crash and it's OK on a smooth gravel road but no way is the FJ any kind of adventure bike.
How many miles do you have on your FJ? And have you done any fine tuning of your suspension? The Super Tenere was harsh right out of the box... it took a few thousand Kilometers before it smoothed out... then it took a bit of adjusting...
My FJ just turned 600 miles and the suspension preload and dampening are turned up a bit over the stock settings to compensate for my 190 lb weight without gear. 
I owned a KL.R and now have a DRZ400S so I'm reasonably familiar with how dual sport suspensions work in the dirt.  The FJ is more sport bike stiff, not even as "plush" as my FJR1300.  You're going to be disappointed if you want the FJ to be an adventure bike.

Riding in northern Canada is an adventure no matter what bike you ride. Unless you are sticking around town you're going to run into what most would call adventure riding. I have no doubt that this is not an off-road/trail bike. And I am sure I can set it up for my riding interests.

Guest eatpasta
that just means you werent going fast enough... 
;)

Archived