WINDSHIELD FLUTTER

I have the tall windscreen, and find that it flutters so much in certain conditions (e.g. passing a semi on the interstate) that it goes from being merely annoying to actually scary. Has anyone found a fix for this? The problem seems to be not the shield itself, but the way it attaches to the bike -- the assembly traces back to just two attachment points below the instrument panel, and they are just a few inches apart. So I don't think an aftermarket shield would solve this unless some additional attachment points were utilized. Does anyone know of a way to address this problem?

@suncoaster I've been meaning to do this ever since seeing your first post but haven't gotten around to it. I have a few questions though.. Does this mod still allow you adjust the windscreen up and down in all 3 positions? Only one additional hole per side needed?

If you have already done a "how to" thread I must have missed it.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Hi @duhs10
You need 3 holes per side - one for each position.

To adjust the windscreen, simply release the clamp, and take the nut off the other end, and slide the QR bolt out.
Adjust the height as normal.
Then reinsert the QR bolt if you have drilled holes for the other two positions.
I have only drilled for the high position.

Here's the original post, it's not much of a how-to:

May 26, 2016 18:47:39 GMT 10 suncoaster said:

The windscreen bracket movement was bugging me, so I put a bicycle quick release axle bolt in the windscreen mount, which completely stabilizes it.
The QR bolt was around $9 for two. 
Drilled a 5mm hole in each side of the mount, and the axle bolt goes right through.
6jDQHxh.jpg
Shown with the screen at highest setting. 
Left side,                                                    Right side.[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]
MEFdZ1X.jpgvV7ukQ4.jpg

There are lots of these bicycle "skewers" on ebay, I chose these ones because of the flat end nut, graspable by a spanner:
www.ebay.com/itm/252336273687 and only used the short one.
=
www.red-land.cn/products-detail.asp?cpid=176
Road Bike: F: 112mm / R: 148mm
(You can get them from your local bicycle shop or Walmart equivalent too.)

Just for clarity, this is in addition to the factory knobs, not a replacement.

You have to drill holes for this, one for each position on each side. The pictures show the high position.

The screen is now rock solid.
I currently have the Givi 2122DT 69 x 50 cm (H x W) screen.

Thanks @suncoaster . I use a Puig touring screen with the deflector attached. I think it will still flex in turbulence l, but the fact that the stock mount has that much free play in it drives me crazy!

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Suncoaster's solution really is the best, but if you want to try something very quick and easy: I got good results by simply adding a washer to the right side adjuster so it has more purchase on the bracket.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
I removed the factory knobs and plastic L-bracket things and replaced with allen head bolts and washers. The screen is solid now.
I have a madstad screen and it's got its own adjustment so I don't need to use the Yamaha adjustment.

I had tried reversing the L-brackets. Don't do that. It doesn't hold the screen any more solid and the knobs keep backing out.

• 1 year later...
Suncoaster, 
Could you maybe repost those images?  They seem to have expired and I'd love to see this solution.
@suncoaster

adding the tag..

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2017 at 12:35 AM, duhs10 said:

I own a 2017 Tracer 900 with the same issues.  I can't get the screen to be super tight and now at high speed the front end wobbles...dangerous!  Is there no other solution other than sticking a bike skewer?  Does anyone know if the 2018 fittings can work on the 2017 model?   @suncoaster

adding the tag..