I'm doing a similar trip in September when it's a bit cooler but I plan on staying in cheap motels. Good luck on your trip and please create a ride report or post some pictures when you get back. 
Here's the route that I'll be taking. I have family in Northern Utah so I plan on meeting up with them and then continuing on to Grand Teton and Yellowstone by car.

https://goo.gl/maps/89hhKNq4Kqm

If you're riding from Moab into CO, you should take 128 rather than just going North on 191 to I70.  128 follows the CO river and hooks up to I70 a little further East.  It's a fun ride and quite scenic. 
From last week:

DSC_9610_zpsdwpwhznl.jpg
Thanks for the info! It's not too much further and sounds like the way to go.

Make sure to drink something with electrolytes. I like G2 Gatorade, as it doesn't have the sugar some of the sports drinks have. I usually drink a liter bottle before setting off, and try to drink at least a 1/2 liter of H2O at every gas stop and I still find myself drinking lots in the evening to catch up. If you don't have to urinate at every stop, or it's turning dark yellow, you're definitely not drinking enough.

Dehydration in summer riding in the Southwest is no joke... and because of the lower humidity, it can sneak up on you. It will exacerbate fatigue, cause muscle soreness, headaches and degrade your awareness. None of which are good on a bike, and certainly ruin the fun!

The saying here is: Hydrate or Die! ;)

Just sling a 2L+ camelbak (or clone) that way you can drink constantly, not just when you stop for bun circulation or gas. I rode from DC to OKC in late July. And again from LAV to DC in summer.

I generally would do 1/3-1/2 Gatorade by volume and drop in a salt tablet.

• Premium Member
Sports drink is fine but the convenience and space saving of electrolyte capsules can't be beat. Here is one example http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes-reg.elt.html?navcat=ELECTROLYTE.

I keep the caps in my tank bag, within easy reach. Use with water.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Archived