4500 miles in 6 days.

micah2074

• Premium Member
Interested in what suspension upgrades you have lined up, it's my experience that "upgraded" suspension for sports bikes stiffens the ride--this improves performance by making the bike more tractable (more rubber to the road for spirited riding, less diving in corners), but doesn't aim to make it more comfortable, the opposite if anything.

Not necessarily. Better sensitivity to compression can make the bike better on the track and the road. On my previous Ninja, I could hold a line better on the track and on goat trails after the suspension upgrade. The bike didn't bounce off road imperfections with better rear shock compression. Good suspension should help the FJ even more since it can dive badly with braking.

So your average was 750 miles a day! For 6 days! Can you share any tips for avoiding pain and fatigue in your back, elbows, wrists, etc? I have done a few 500 mile days, but not consecutive, and was looking for techniques that minimize fatigue. Did you use a tail bag as a backrest? Keep your elbows loose and your grip loose? Use cruise control? Earplugs? Squirm around on the seat every 20 minutes? Highway pegs? Padded shorts?
Remember techniques that works for one person aren't even necessary for another.  I do multiple 4-500 mile days and usually try to move my butt as little as possible.  If something is hurting, I will move load forward or aft, left or right,  depending on what feels better.  Also, I may put more weight on the legs (thighs) or run the butt back on the front edge of the pillion seat.  Best of all is to get into some tight twisty roads and move around, right cheek, left cheek, up close to the tank, etc. that really takes your mind off the seat.  Best method is to do lots of miles and get used to it.  Avoid hot days.  Keep your ass dry.  Wear leather pants.  Wear tights without seams.  Did I say keep a dry butt.  Stand on the pegs to dry.  Seating position on the FJ supports good posture, so you don't need a back rest or forward pegs.  You should always have a loose grip and relaxed arms while riding down the highway or in the twisties.  Now here is the catch:  I'm 5-8, 163 lbs, 30-1/2" inseam, and do around 17-28K a year for 20 years.  I do use LD Comfort tights on long rides and on multiple day trips and I make sure the pants I wear can vent at the top and bottom of leg.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived