Hello from SoCal!

xllented

130714_i_Touch_Photos_203.jpg

Just sold my 2008 FJR1300; now I'm in the (enviable?) position to buy a brand new 2017...  Right now, the FJR is the front runner but the FJ-09, XSR-900, and FZ-09 have REALLY caught my attention.  I don't really need the 'sports touring' capability since my long commute to work is no longer in the works and all I'm doing is local rides along the coast (<40 miles) and local errands.... Really impressed in what I'm reading/researching on all the bikes; you guys look like you're having a lot of enjoyment and fun.  My journey continues... everyone ride safe and take care!

After riding a local stock fz-09 yesterday, I can say the FJ-09 fixed quite a bit of the FZ-09 woes, suspension and ECU mapping mainly and i feel the FJ turns bether of the 2...for the extra cost of the FJ it's worth it in my book...don't be fooled by the " sporty tour look " of the FJ-09, it's an FZ-09 at heart once you turn the Traction Control off
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Hey Xllented,

Interesting and  a similar situation.  I haven't sold my 08 FJR yet (the best bike I've ever owned) but I did test drive a FJ09 a couple of weeks ago.  Wondering what your thoughts are?  Riding position- seat - much different than the cushy FJR.  Black_Beauty.jpg

• Premium Member
Right now, the FJR is the front runner but the FJ-09, XSR-900, and FZ-09 have REALLY caught my attention. all I'm doing is local rides along the coast (<40 miles) and local errands....
I have had a test ride on an FJR, and I have to say that the 150 lb weight reduction of the FJ09 makes it much more suitable for your intended riding. The only advantage that I see to the FJR is when you do a lot of 2-up riding.
There is one frequent poster here that has done 300K miles on an FJR and now he rides an FJ09. Go search for some of redfjniner's posts.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

As someone who sold a heavy bike (2000 Kawasaki ZX-11) in favor of the FJ-09 I can tell you that during the period I owned them both (about six months) I favored the FJ-09 for almost everything, even though up until I bought the Yamaha I had loved power and comfort of the ZX-11. The FJ-09 just so light and easy to handle, and goes like it was shot out of a gun when you twist the throttle. I've even driven it twice from Palm Springs to Seattle and back and with the right seat, even those long trips are a blast. I've always had more than one bike, but now I'm fine with just one, the FJ-09.

Hi RCOREGON,

I loved my 2008 FJR1300; it was very sad to let her go... She was a fun/fast bike and she was VERY dependable.  I got a pretty good offer about a month ago - I paid $14400 for her OTD in early 2008 and sold her for $6800 - it was a good deal for the buyer because she had only 16000 miles on the clock.

Just got back from the dealer; sat on the FZ-10, FZ-09, FJ-09, and XSR-900.  They all felt great; but as mentioned, they are sooooo much lighter than the FJR1300.  The FJR1300 is heavy, but once you got her going; she was a joy to ride.  

FJ-09 sits very tall; pretty close to 33", but you can buy a lower seat option as a solution (I'm 5'8").  It lists for around $11000; I'm pretty sure you can get pretty close to that price OTD.  With the reduction of weight compared to the FJR, I think the FJ-09 would fill in quite nicely.

The FZ-10 and FZ-09 are awesome bikes too; powerful motors, great engineering, VERY modern styling - maybe too angular for my taste.  A couple things about the FZ-09 is is does not have ABS or Traction Control... but it can be bought for <$9000 OTD.

The XSR-900 looks VERY awesome in person and fits me pretty well - I think the best out of the 4.  It has the great/powerful motor the FZ-09 and FJ-09 has.  It has ABS and Traction Control.  If you bargained with the dealer; she can probably be bought for around $9800 OTD...  People and reviews rave about this bike and seeing her up close and personal, I can see why.

I am waiting to see what the 2017's look like.  The motorcycle show should be in town in about 6 weeks.  I'm afraid to say that the FJR1300 might be too much bike for my realistic needs and at ~$19000; very pricey.  As of today, the XSR-900 is the front runner....

I actually thought about getting a FJR to compliment my FZ-07 but couldn't get over how heavy the FJR was...the FZ-09 and FZ-07 have 0 wind protection...the FJ has awesome wind protection compared to the FZ...example: riding the FJ in light/medium rain I'm not even wet, not even my backpack feels wet compared to the FZ in same weather would leave everything soaked...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived