Heated vest controled by bike grip controller

popawilly

Thanks, cool that the feature is built in and I wont have to add any switches or relays like I have on past bikes. I've used the stick on elements that go under the grips, pretty inexpensive but I always felt they never quite got hot enough and was hopping the OEM ones would get a tad warmer. Also hoping they would be slightly bigger in diameter.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone successfully been able to wire up aftermarket heated grips to work with the factory controller yet? I would think if you can run a vest off of them you should be able to run grips. But it doesn't seem anyone has achieved this yet.

I've got a set of Oxfords on the way and would love to control them like factory.

Has anyone successfully been able to wire up aftermarket heated grips to work with the factory controller yet? I would think if you can run a vest off of them you should be able to run grips. But it doesn't seem anyone has achieved this yet.  
I've got a set of Oxfords on the way and would love to control them like factory.
... I think you will be pioneering this. The ECU may need to see certain impedance in order to recognize it as a valid load. OE system is wired in series (diagram below), while the Oxford system is wired in parallel. You'd have to bench test (measure) the Oxfords in parallel or in series to get the resistance value closest to OE setup. If the value is way off either way, then ECU might not care for it, or worse. I wired my Oxfords per instructions, but will try the jacket on the OE controls... I will fuse it at 3A initially. It worked for @popawilly, so i'm gonna try the same. 
diag.png

I'm definitely going to try. I know there are several threads talking about it. I need to go through them and condense all the information so I have a starting point to work from. I've got some time yet before it starts to get really cold in the mornings here so I have time to experiment. I should have them this evening.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Facinating but given I run the OEM heated grips and have both the single and dual digital Warm & Safe Heat trollers... I velcro one of them to the tank near much left thigh.
I mounted my Heat Troller to my handlebar using a bicycle reflector bracket I had laying around. It's a much more convenient location IMO. I just had to buy a couple extra coaxial extension cords to reach the bars.

One downside: the red LED on the Heat Troller is bright enough to be a distraction, so I dimmed it a bit with a layer of nail polish.

Archived