• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Test Ride Tomorrow

carey

Yesterday I installed my Forks by Matt and tonight I installed the modified ZX6R shock.   Tomorrow is supposed to hit 45 F, and I plan to try things out. It was neat to move the damping adjusters from min to max and actually see and feel a difference while bouncing the bike in the garage.
In addition to upgraded suspension, I had my ECU reflashed by Ivan and installed an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse block so I can have switched power for electrical accessories that require more than 2 amps.  One of those circuits runs a Powerlet euro style socket for my GPS.  Eventually, I will hook up some LED running lights, a volt meter and heated grips.  

• Supporting Member
I've always loved that first ride after upgrading the suspension on my bikes.  I am currently waiting on a shock in the mail from Traxxion Dynamics, my next upgrade will be the forks by Matt after the start of the new year.  I hope to hear good things from your ride with the new parts.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Yesterday I installed my Forks by Matt and tonight I installed the modified ZX6R shock.   Tomorrow is supposed to hit 45 F, and I plan to try things out. It was neat to move the damping adjusters from min to max and actually see and feel a difference while bouncing the bike in the garage. In addition to upgraded suspension, I had my ECU reflashed by Ivan and installed an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse block so I can have switched power for electrical accessories that require more than 2 amps.  One of those circuits runs a Powerlet euro style socket for my GPS.  Eventually, I will hook up some LED running lights, a volt meter and heated grips.  
Did you try it yet? you got me all curious, and then nothing.......

Yesterday I installed my Forks by Matt and tonight I installed the modified ZX6R shock.   Tomorrow is supposed to hit 45 F, and I plan to try things out. It was neat to move the damping adjusters from min to max and actually see and feel a difference while bouncing the bike in the garage. In addition to upgraded suspension, I had my ECU reflashed by Ivan and installed an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse block so I can have switched power for electrical accessories that require more than 2 amps.  One of those circuits runs a Powerlet euro style socket for my GPS.  Eventually, I will hook up some LED running lights, a volt meter and heated grips.  
Did you try it yet? you got me all curious, and then nothing.......
Yes, I did get to try it for about 100 miles. The weather didn't get above 36 deg F, and there was anti skid gravel in a lot of corners, from an earlier snow storm. With these conditions, I didn't get to press it too much. My initial impression is good. Frost heaves and bridge joints weren't even felt.  The bike went where I pointed it and steered intuitively through the turns.
The biggest difference I could tell was when I wanted to "test" the ECU reflash. On one straight away, I grabbed a hand full of throttle while cruising in third gear. Initially I wanted to go all the way to redline, but the speed got too fast for this section of road.   While grinning from the improved performance of the reflash, I remembered that the bike was steady and the front end had a firm grip on the road. During high speed runs before the suspension upgrade, the front end felt very light or skitterish.   Anybody that's ridden a motorcycle built in the 70's/80's will know what I mean.

• Supporting Member
During high speed runs before the suspension upgrade, the front end felt very light or skitterish.   Anybody that's ridden a motorcycle built in the 70's/80's will know what I mean.
I haven't upgraded my suspension yet and noticed the same thing the other day at higher interstate speeds, like the front end was fluttering a bit.  I have raised my forks about 10mm in the clamps and cranked down the spring preload so only 3 lines are showing.  I am hoping that the bike feels more stable once I get everything upgraded and set correctly. 

• Premium Member
What was the wind like? I find the front end on the Tracer gets a little vague at speed if it is really windy. No different to many bikes in that respect. In still air, the bike is good to cruise all day at 3 figure speeds (e.g. German autobahns which have unrestricted sections)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Supporting Member
What was the wind like? I find the front end on the Tracer gets a little vague at speed if it is really windy. No different to many bikes in that respect. In still air, the bike is good to cruise all day at 3 figure speeds (e.g. German autobahns which have unrestricted sections)
It was hard to tell wind speed or direction since I was maintaining about 80-85mph.  Last time it happened there was very light traffic on the interstate, no big trucks throwing dirty turbulent air.  My previous FZ1 was very stable at triple digit speeds, but that bike had fully upgraded suspension and had a sportier riding position.

Archived