• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Lurker extrodinaire

tinboaqtcapt

Um ... Hi ... My name is Jim and I'm addicted to BIKE.
It's winter here, ice and snow everywhere. The toys are all stored with care. So now it's: plan the summers trips and rallies. Also, as my main ride is past 100K miles this summer it is my benchmark to start looking for it's replacement. The FJ-09 has caught my eye.
I lurked around some of the postings before I registered. And, clearly I need an intervention. I fat fingered my user name and spelled it incorrectly. Now I need to remember to add the errant "q" in Tinboatcapt.
This is about introductions. So. I've been riding since 1966. Two Suzuki's, A Triumph, Two BMW's, and Now I have 4 Honda's. The main ride is a 2000 ST1100 with some suspension mods, seat, and a list of farkles. The other main bike is an '86 Wing Aspencade SEI with a California Side car. It's easier to get the groceries with the tub hung on the side. There is a lot of space in there.
I will probably keep the ST when I replace it with something for the distance rides. The ST has spoiled me with it's 7 gallon tank, smooth V4 motor, long wheel base, and compared to many bikes; it's simplicity. I confess to tiring of R n R the Tupperware to do simple maintenance. I've not had a Yamaha yet, so why not try one, Eh?
The other bike catching my eye is the Honda VF1200X. It just came into the US this year, but has been getting good words on it's forum. So many choices. And not like the 'good 'ol days' when about the only difference between bikes was the brand. Parallel twins are sooo old school.
Y'all ride safelyJim

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard tinboaqtcapt, glad to have you join us. The FJ-09 does many things well. It's not perfect, but it sure is fun to ride, and keeps a smile on my face.......

• Premium Member
Welcome! I have a '93 ST1100 with over 100K miles. I agree with your likes about it, and I also was looking for a ride with less tupperware when I bought my fj-09. 26K miles later I'm still very pleased with my decision. It's a fun ride and a very capable sport touring bike (though I do miss the range of the ST gas tank :^).

I'm English...I love Qs
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
Welcome! I have a '93 ST1100 with over 100K miles. I agree with your likes about it, and I also was looking for a ride with less tupperware when I bought my fj-09. 26K miles later I'm still very pleased with my decision. It's a fun ride and a very capable sport touring bike (though I do miss the range of the ST gas tank :^).
Steveb,
I also had an ST1100 '90 120k miles and it was great for long rides but I always feared any gravel on the side of the road, dropped that bike a few times on dirt and gravel, kinda hard to lift up, but now, the FJ-09 is so light and nimble compared...more stable on gravel and dirt, don't you think?
Yeah, the ST is heavy (especially when it's lying on its side :^) though I have taken it on some (unplanned) off-road excursions (map said there was a road, but it really meant there was eventually going to be a road, so a few miles of cross the stream, dodge the rocks, follow the road-grader fun etc. until you finally find pavement again).   
Huge difference with the FJ-09!  First time I rode it and took it into a corner, I thought I was going to throw it down to the ground it reacted so quickly to my input.  Very nimble, and LOTS of fun!  Two completely different feeling rides, which is fine by me. 

I have developed the talent to switch between different bikes quickly. I have four. The ST1100, I have a '74 XL350 I use for a pit bike. I have a '81 CB650C just for bashing about on something small. And, I have an 86 Goldwing Aspencade with a California Side car.

So. I need to pare down the stable. The XL350 and the Wing need to go. The CB650C could get a sidecar. I would fid it hard to part with the ST. leaving me with three bikes including the new addition. One can never have too many bikes.

I have a two friends with whom I could never compete. One has about 30 bikes, mostly British stuff: Triumphs and Nortons, a couple of Dniepers, some Royal Enfields, Two Duc's, and a couple of BMWs. Another restores and collects BSAs and Guzzis.

I met them when I was working for the Royal Enfield Importer here in the USA. Fun bikes the REs. Unique in this age of plastic and computer tech road rockets.

Archived