Stebel HF-80 Horn Upgrade

• Premium Member
Finally got around to installing the Stebel HF-80 Disc horns on the FJ-09 today. Bought the horns and wiring kit from Murph's Kits

View from below. Stock horn still in place!
horn1.jpg
View from front. Painted flat black, they are barely visible. Mounted on the same angle as stock.
horn3.jpg

Sound taken from the seat. The three together are LOUD.
[video src=https://youtu.be/sQYDa9chltc]

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
So what did you do for brackets?
Real straight forward. They provide four of these, of which two I painted flat black. 
horn10.jpg

Bolt them here:
horn11.jpg

Then bend them 90 Deg. like this.
horn9.jpg  horn8.jpg

As our British friends would say (@eeetea ), I'm totally chuffed with the results!  :D
The wiring harness from Murph's Kits made it a breeze. It was plug and play using the supplied 15 amp fuse to power all 3 horns.
horn12.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Ok... I added louder horns to many bikes over the years. Most recently my last two Super Tenere' and I used those same "supplies" brackets. Admittedly the horns I used are a bit heavier. cd57d6cbb18e37ab633d335f9fe3da77.jpg And as a parallel twin I suppose the Tenere' vibrates a bit more than the FJ-09's triple. But within 6 months one bracket failed as in broken as if it were bent back and fourth until it ... well broke.
I REALLY like your solution and the fact that you used the stock horn too. ?
BTW... are you running a fuse block on your FJ? I now have my heated gear/battery tender plug run straight to the battery and was going to just go to the battery to hookup my Garmin but now the horns would be three wires going to the battery. That's too many.
I guess now indeed to look for a place to mount http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ and spend another $90!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Ok... I added louder horns to many bikes over the years. Most recently my last two Super Tenere' and I used those same "supplies" brackets. Admittedly the horns I used are a bit heavier. cd57d6cbb18e37ab633d335f9fe3da77.jpg And as a parallel twin I suppose the Tenere' vibrates a bit more than the FJ-09's triple. But within 6 months one bracket failed as in broken as if it were bent back and fourth until it ... well broke. I REALLY like your solution and the fact that you used the stock horn too. ?
BTW... are you running a fuse block on your FJ? I now have my heated gear/battery tender plug run straight to the battery and was going to just go to the battery to hookup my Garmin but now the horns would be three wires going to the battery. That's too many.
I guess now indeed to look for a place to mount http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ and spend another $90!
@Brick , I like the features and size of the fuzeblocks product, I just couldn't bring myself to drop $90 for a power distribution box. I've used Blue Sea boxes on my ST and FJR, so I stayed with it and put one of the FJ as well. $35. It fits behind the seat-latch bracketry in the rear section with a little trimming of useless plastic above the inner fender.  
By using a power box protected behind a relay, you don't risk running the battery dead if you leave the heated gear (or other product) plugged in with the engine off. The only things I run battery-direct are the SAE connector for the Tender, and the GPS cable.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Gary, Well yes I too like the price of the Blue Sea box. However, I REALLY like the fact that the FZ1 has the option for each circuit to be hot or switched just by moving the blade fuse. This way the heated gear never can stay on. ? Regarding location... on my FJ the space behind the seat latch is already occupied by the cruise control that was installed by the previous owner.
Whoa... also the Blue Sea is huge at 2"X4"X8". I guess the money difference also pays for a bit of miniaturization too. 618cadde95fee5ee0acf5b1ceb0606a5.jpg

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

However, I REALLY like the fact that the FZ1 has the option for each circuit to be hot or switched just by moving the blade fuse. This way the heated gear never can stay on. ?
Can you explain how this is done?   

• Premium Member
However, I REALLY like the fact that the FZ1 has the option for each circuit to be hot or switched just by moving the blade fuse. This way the heated gear never can stay on. ?
Can you explain how this is done?   

Yes if you zoom in on the photo I posted you will see a row of terminals where you plug in the fuses. Use the right two as the 5 & 2 amp fuses are is labeled the switched side. The left is constant. The FZ1 has a relay built in so when you install it the third wire is the trigger wire. That's why I'm looking for a switched wire to tap onto. ?

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• 2 months later...

Archived