Bike died, like hit the kill switch

catrike16

Hi All,
picked up the new bike yesterday, whilst riding today I turned right changed up ( going downhill) twisted the throttle and no response. Clutch out, bike was coasting, I had all the dash lit still displaying all the info speed etc but no revs on the rev counter!

Brought it to a stop in a lay by, did a quick check, nothing seemed out of  the ordinary, hit the start switch, the bike started and I rode off.
I am positive I did not hit the kill switch accidentally or otherwise.
Any similar experiences or suggestions.
just for info, I'm not a noob, riding since 95

• Premium Member
has the spring on the side stand gone AWOL? This may allow the side stand to flop about and cut the engine

If you had hit the kill switch, as it is also the main switch, the dash would have gone blank.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I know you addressed this in your original post, but I have definitely accidentally hit the kill switch once before. It is very sensitive and I didn't realize what I did at first.

There have been other reports of FJ-09 stalling out, however few and far between. Most of the cases that I have read about were during downshifts coming up to a stop. I personally have never experienced a random stall (other than when i hit the kill switch). Some have attributed it to a faulty side stand switch, ignition switch, or simply not turning the key into the fully on position.

If this is a new bike, take it to the dealer and have them run some diagnostics under warranty.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

... If you had hit the kill switch, as it is also the main switch, the dash would have gone blank.

The dash would still be illuminated with the key in the "on" position and the kill switch in the "stop" position.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On the FJ does the kick stand only kill the bike when it's in gear,
I can start mine with the stand down and it doesn't cut off when I put the stand down
I seem to remember my BMW would kill the engine when you put the side stand down

edit: just did a bit of RTFM and found some answers, now off to test things are working properly

On the FJ does the kick stand only kill the bike when it's in gear, I can start mine with the stand down and it doesn't cut off when I put the stand down
I seem to remember my BMW would kill the engine when you put the side stand down

edit: just did a bit of RTFM and found some answers, now off to test things are working properly
Putting the side stand down while in gear will kill the engine. While in neutral it will not kill the engine.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived