The Go Pro Hero 5 Black. What I'm learning...

• Premium Member
I want to video record and narrate while I ride. I have a Sena 20S Communication Headset. I went and bought the new Go Pro Hero 5 Black. Records up to 4K Resolution. Now Waterproof. Go Pro has with an app. that is called, "Capture". So I can remotely control the camera from my I-Phone. I can play back recorded segments and see it on my I-Phone as well as hear it on my Sena Headsets in my Helmet. Now here's the rub... Currently there is no way to bluetooth my microphone on my Sena to either voice command (Go Pro has voice command feature) or narrate to the Go Pro Hero Black 5. On the older Go Pro's (3 & 4) Sena makes a bluetooth back pack that attaches onto the back of the Go pro and pairs via bluetooth to accomplish this. Sena also makes their, "Prism" camera that is fully compatible with the Sena communication systems. The only work around I see with the new model Go Pro to audio record my voice while riding is to buy the silly micro 3.5 Go Pro adapter and hard wire another mic in my helmet. Let alone I would have to remove the door cover to the Go Pro exposing the mini HDMI and micro USB connectors to the elements defeating Go Pros waterproof advancement. I contacted Go Pro Support about this and after explaining the situation they are kicking it up to their higher technical staff. I'm contacting Sena on monday to see if they can also look into this. I would think a firmware upgrade by both parties would correct this. The Go Pro Hero 5 is a quality camera and 4K looks really good. It can do lower resolutions as well as multiple other features. Frankly, I'm surprised this, "snafu" got past them.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Got a response from Go Pro. They basically say it's a third party issue.:-(. Another words it's now up to Sena. I don't buy it. Currently Go Pros Bluetooth on the hero 5 only kicks in when the battery is low and then switches off of wi-FI connectivity to activate Bluetooth. IMHO the firmware can be upgraded to accept Bluetooth connectivity to the Sena or whatever wireless communications. At this point I'll keep the camera as a 2nd perspective. And eventually Go with the older hero 4 with the Sena audio Bluetooth connectivity.

I would use one of these with a label mic to record your audio for your videos, and then sync the audio and video from GoPro in post-editing. Yes, it would require another mic, but the quality of the audio will be superior if done right. In addition you can use the device for additional applications.

https://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004OU2IQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485738367&sr=1-1&keywords=tascam+dr-05

• Premium Member
I really think that Go Pro missed the mark with this issue on their Hero 5 Black. Although using an audio record device and syncing in post editing is a work around, I'd rather save my money and get the Go Pro silver 4 with the Sena bluetooth audio backpack.  Come on Go Pro, you have bluetooth in the Hero 5, now just update the firm ware to pair with bluetooth mics or communication systems like the Sena.

• Premium Member
I noticed that drawback when buying my GoPro. Since I didn't plan on narrating, I didn't mind, but still thought it was subpar.

I went with the Hero Session 5 because it was smaller and cheaper, and could still connect with my phone. What I DIDN'T realize before buying the Session was that the battery can't be replaced like it can in your model. So, I basically paid #300 for a disposable camera. Once the battery starts showing wear and won't hold a charge I'll have to buy a new camera. Also subpar.

• Premium Member
Spoke with Sena tech support today. Sena is developing an audio bluetooth backpack and a firmware update to go with the Go Pro Hero 5 Black. I don't know the release date but they did say they would send me e-mail updates.

• 2 months later...

Archived