Insight needed on oil in air box and hard starts

FJ29ER

So I am at about 3k miles and after 3 oil changes I am still having issues. I thought I had caused this so that why I have not taken it in under warranty P.S. So first time I changed the oil I put in 3 qts which I came to find out was to much because it was hard to start when it had been sitting in the sun for a few hrs and after realizing I overfilled I changed the oil and changed the air filter cause it was soaked in oil...

But still after 2 more oil changes, one filling it to the EXACT amount and one under filling it by 2 ounces or so it is still doing it.

But being as it has been cold lately I havent been able to reproduce it, but the last week or so it has been warm so it has been doing it everyday that it has been sitting in the sun for awhile.

So last oil change I took the whole air box out and vent hose from the valve cover and cleaned it out..and im sure it is oil filled again because it is hard to start.

Here is a video of one day I was having issues. It was cool that day so it wasnt as bad.EDIT: ADDED A START FROM A WARM DAY.

Any insight or something further I can do to diagnose before I take it to the dealer and have them look at it?

My FJ has never had a "hard start" problem... i don't like the "stumbling" yours does after it finally starts. If its under warranty, I would definitely take it to a dealer to have it diagnosed.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

There is a system that vents crank case vapors to the air intake for pollution control reasons. There are reed valves and an electronic valve as part of that system. Google graves block off covers, they block of that system for race bikes. You will have to check if ECU needs remapped or not, I don't know. If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer.

• Premium Member
I didn't listen to you video... because the wife is sleeping... ? Anyway what came to mind as I read this is that perhaps the spark plugs got oil fouled and are not cleaning up. So I think I would change them. Couldn't hurt.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

There is a system that vents crank case vapors to the air intake for pollution control reasons. There are reed valves and an electronic valve as part of that system. Google graves block off covers, they block of that system for race bikes. You will have to check if ECU needs remapped or not, I don't know. If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer.
Yea there is 2 vent lines that go in to the airbox and I cleaned the one that goes direct to valve cover out and left the other one because there was no oil in it but doesnt mean it didnt make it to the valve that is inline to it. 
I will take it in the the dealer regardless it is just kinda hard due to the weather being cold which means it runs fine when cold so they wont be able to duplicate it and getting it there period with my schedule.

UPDATE.

Took it to a dealer. First advisor was nice..but clueless and thought it was a FJ13. But was curious and willing to check it out for me. Then enters the jerk of a manager who informs me that I am over filling it and they cant look at it because they havent been doing the services on it and to call yamaha and complain and get a case #. Even though I showed them the half full 3rd quart to prove I under filled it etc. I even asked to have a oil change done to make sure it is at the right level and they said just labor would be over $100! Only thing I can think of is im not draining out all the oil because my driveway isnt flat enough and some is staying in the back of the pan. Been working on bike/cars for 20 ish years and never have had a issue but theres always a chance to make mistakes. So I am going to clean out the airbox. remove some oil to a little lower then between the two lines. Right now it sits near the top line. Which I still feel isnt enough to cause issues but yea.

I don't fill by quantity.  I just fill to the top of the sight glass and have never had any issue.  They again, I've never looked at the air filter  8-)

The one time I had the oil at the center of the sight glass, I had a blinking oil light on the dash.  Can't have that!  So I go to the top of the glass.

So on lunch i replaced the air filter and found no oil in the airbox which was weird, but air filter smelt heavily of fuel/oil. And the below pictures are before and after I sucked 100 ml (3.4 ounces) of oil out of the engine. So I will go start it at 4 when I get off and see what it does. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

20170214_124200.jpg

20170214_134118.jpg

Just a guess but just maybe it has something to do with the fuel vent hose. Dont do this with a full tank.
Before starting open up your gas tank slightly and see if it will start first try. My theory is that on a warm or hot day the tank doesnt vent properly and causes pressure build up. The zx6r on a hot day you can hear the tank release pressuse slowly when sitting but the fj09 doesnt do this. Sometimes I see a small amout of gas about the size of a quarter on the ground from the vent hose. Its just a thought so take it with a grain of salt.
O and by the why sometimes mine doesnt start first try. I just release the starter and try again and it starts right up.

Just a guess but just maybe it has something to do with the fuel vent hose. Dont do this with a full tank. Before starting open up your gas tank slightly and see if it will start first try. My theory is that on a warm or hot day the tank doesnt vent properly and causes pressure build up. The zx6r on a hot day you can hear the tank release pressuse slowly when sitting but the fj09 doesnt do this. Sometimes I see a small amout of gas about the size of a quarter on the ground from the vent hose. Its just a thought so take it with a grain of salt.
O and by the why sometimes mine doesnt start first try. I just release the starter and try again and it starts right up.
Thank you for this. It got me thinking and reading. I think I might be having this issue below.... My initial thought being the airbox was full of oil I thought the oil vapors were building up in the airbox and causing a super rich conditon. So I will have to investigate fuel vapor issues. 
http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/894-occasional-hard-start-stalling-2.html

Just a guess but just maybe it has something to do with the fuel vent hose. Dont do this with a full tank. Before starting open up your gas tank slightly and see if it will start first try. My theory is that on a warm or hot day the tank doesnt vent properly and causes pressure build up. The zx6r on a hot day you can hear the tank release pressuse slowly when sitting but the fj09 doesnt do this. Sometimes I see a small amout of gas about the size of a quarter on the ground from the vent hose. Its just a thought so take it with a grain of salt.
Thank you for this. It got me thinking and reading. I think I might be having this issue below.... My initial thought being the airbox was full of oil I thought the oil vapors were building up in the airbox and causing a super rich conditon. So I will have to investigate fuel vapor issues. 
http://www.somefz09forum/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/894-occasional-hard-start-stalling-2.html

Now that I think about it... I had an issue with the EVAC system on my F150 where after fueling, it would hard start like crazy and stumble once it finally started. I didn't think of the similarity to this issue until just now.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived