Seat height question from hopeful newbie

I'm very interested in buying a new FJ-09 and have taken a few out for a test. Overall it was a positive experience except for the position of the foot pegs. I'm about 6'2", 220 pounds with a 35 inch inseam and found myself to be a bit cramped legroom-wise. I've had to drop the pegs an inch or so on the Versys 650 and VStrom 650 I own and it helped a lot. I see I have a few aftermarket options for doing the same thing with the FJ-09 and I also understand the seat itself has two positions.

On both the FJ-09s I took out the sales guy said the seat was at the higher position. He may in fact be right but looking at the two pictures below, is it possible to tell if the seat is in the lower or higher position? If it's already in the higher position like he says, I don't see how it can even go much lower and my geezer knees may not adapt well to the higher, more rearward position pegs. And that'd be a shame because the rest of the bike sure brought a troublesome grin to my grizzled face.

2015_Small_Copy.jpg

2016_Small_Copy.jpg

• Premium Member
Those look like they are both in the lower position to me. My understanding is that all FJs are delivered with the seat in the lower position and you have to remove the seat and flip a position adjuster thingy to put the seat into the higher position. 

Also, IIRC, the top of the front of the seat is flush with the cutout in the tank when in the higher position.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

I just put a Corbin on my '16 FJ and it is indeed higher than the high position of the stock seat. Enough so that I may wind up having to play with some bar risers and a new clutch cable.

And you're definitely right about the $$$. $520 of 'em, delivered to East Overshoe, Maine.

• Supporting Member
In the photos, those seats are definitely in the lower position. I am the same height as you with 34" inseam and run the seat in the higher position, absolutely no issues with cramping in hips or knees, and I have bad knees.
You always have the option of lower pegs in addition to the higher seat position.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yep, looking to be in lower position. Supposedly the Corbin is an inch or so taller than the stock seat set in highest position. Someone could confirm. It is also firmer and might be better for your weight... but it will set you back $$$.
I just bought a Corbin for my FJ09.  Installation requires the removal of the OEM seat height adjuster piece.  My impression is it is higher than OEM low position, but comparable to the OEM high position.   My perspective is I went from flat footed to the balls of my feet with the Corbin compared to OEM in the low position.  I have a 32" inseam and limited range of motion in my hips. 

• Premium Member
If you get another chance, remove the seat. The seat height adjustment is fairly clearly marked at the back and the front of the seat connection points. Mine came with it in the high position and I had to remove a rubber block and shift a square plastic bracket to move it to the low position, so seat position may depend on shop setup. No tools required.

Those seats do appear to be in the lower position. The first picture might be the angle but it looks like the rear of the seat might be in the high position (rubber block still installed in the low position slot). I kept the block and it allows for high rear, low front setting. The shop did inform me that the block is normally removed and tossed during setup, so I don't know if it's normal for people to have it.

Thanks for all the great information. I'm now more hopeful that I'll soon be able to call the red FJ-09 my own. As you can see by the date I registered for this forum, I've been sniffing around this bike for a while.

Every bike I've owned has needed some customization by me to make it fit just right and I'm expecting no difference here. Lowering the foot pegs, a taller shield for better air management, heated grips, mirror extenders, different seat, radar detector/GPS mount, top case rack and case (my Givi E52 went with my last bike), etc. You get the idea.

Now we just need for the snow to leave Wisconsin!

Archived