Does European Tracer need ECU reflash?

sheridan

Haven't noticed any strange behavior of throttle when rode first 50 kms on my Tracer. Bought it used from Switzerland. Heard that European Tracers have different ECU flash vs US. So, my question is for EU Tracers owners: does ECU reflash have sence?

• Premium Member
If you have no problem then why change it?

In N.America the ECU restricts bikes to 115mph and they report rough running probably due to emissions settings over-riding performance.

I am in the UK. I have no plan to flash my ECU.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
From everything I've read, there's no reason to flash yours unless you change the exhaust. Your top speed isn't limited, and you won't have the quirky fuel mapping we have in the U.S.

I'm not sure why Yamaha gave the U.S. bikes such a sloppy and jerky throttle response, but they seem determined to make us suffer through it. When I first got my flash tuner, I didn't have an aftermarket exhaust yet. I only wanted to smooth out the throttle response. The stock European program is available in their software, so I flashed my ECU with it. The bike wouldn't start with it. I'm not sure how Yamaha managed that, but my U.S. bike would not run on a European program. I had to reflash it with the U.S. program, compare the U.S. and European programs, and manually change every value of every map of the U.S. program to make it match the European one. Hours of work to make mine run as smooth as yours does from the factory.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
I think I can feel that throttle is jerky :(
Do you "think" the throttle is jerky? because either it is or it isn't, there is no maybe.  Are you riding in STD or A mode?  In my experience, A mode is much more sensitive to feeling "jerky". 
Have you read the thread about Adjusting the APS? 
Once you have the tank off, the adjustment procedure takes about 3 minutes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Mine is UK spec and I found the throttle jerky as it moves off low throttle openings. I bought a "kev mod" from ebay that fools the closed loop fuelling and made the throttle response much smoother in Standard mode, without any compromise that I can discern. It's a plug in unit between the lambda sensor and the ECU, easy to fit.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@betoney my English is not enough to explain but... When you keeping the same low revs on 1st or even 2nd - bike is not going stable. Like kick/brake. I think you understand

@BBB, Ive heard about it, but coudlnt find it anywhere. Seems to me all kev mods are sold already...

• Supporting Member
When you keeping the same low revs on 1st or even 2nd - bike is not going stable. Like kick/brake. I think you understand 
@bbb , Ive heard about it, but coudlnt find it anywhere. Seems to me all kev mods are sold already...
I think what you are experiencing is what we call surging?  Yes, I have heard that Kev's O2 controller fixes this issue.  Here is one on Ebay. - O2 Controller 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@piotrek , I don't see it in the Store. Just instructions. Should I write him? Cause kevtx from ebay doesnt ship to Ukraine :(
Kev responded to an ebay message from me really quickly, even if he doesn't have stock immediately. Try him and see what he says about shipping to Ukraine. If he won't do it come back here and let me know. I've no idea about mailing costs to you from UK but I don't mind ordering it for you if you'll cover the additional costs.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Haven't noticed any strange behavior of throttle when rode first 50 kms on my Tracer. Bought it used from Switzerland. Heard that European Tracers have different ECU flash vs US. So, my question is for EU Tracers owners: does ECU reflash have sence?
Sheridan, When i first rode a 900 tracer i immediately noticed the surging issue, as in the fuelling cutting in and out when trying to keep a constant 30 mph, i thought i could live with this because the engine is such a torque monster when you ride it hard, but it soon got on my nerves and i couldn't find away to ride around it, so i had the ECU flashed which cured this, i think its a personal thing i have always noticed the difference between carbs and fuel injection because of the environmental restrictions that manufactures now have to meet, plus you can change other things like have A mode as the default mode, which for me is another annoying feature as when you turn off the ignition you have to reset your mode of choice on start up, and the European tracer is restricted in 5th and 6th gear which can be removed 
I don't find the throttle any more jerky than any other similar type of modern sports bike i have rode, if its this that bugs you try adjusting the APS as suggested.  

Thanks owle 

@owle , who flashed ecu for you?
S-TEC Performance in the UK,  take a look here :http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-tracer-technical/3040-tracer-ecu-flash.html  
some one from the Ukraine has asked about about getting his ECU flashed i seem to remember when i looked through the UK MT-09 forum was it You?. 

Guest reeseyboy
Simon and Richie at S-TEC will flash your ECU on a postal service. I had mine flashed by them; made a world of difference. 

@owle, yep it was me. Im still looking for a best price while trying to make a decision. CO adjustment didn't work for me. APS adjustment i haven't tried yet. I understand that even im my (European) case the reflash will be the best decision. The best price has veloxracing from England as i remember. 157 usd.

Archived