Constant surging problem

Long time lurker, but first post. I have a 2015 FZ-09 that I've put over 50,000 kms on.

They all do it. Even the members who have commented about theirs not doing it. With a warmed up engine, between 3500 and 4500 RPM steady cruise below 75 km/h. Maybe even do this on a slight downhill and you'll be able to replicate it every time.

What you're feeling is the terrible factory flash as it swings the AFR from 12's to 17's going into and out of closed loop.

Get it flashed and eliminate the closed loop operation and this will go away. You will be AMAZED at how smooth the throttle can be on your bike with a good ECU flash.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz09.htm

blkbrd is saying the same thing I did. Get it flashed, if it is not gone you have put a few hundred into something you would want to do anyway and didn't have to throw money at mechanics.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 2 weeks later...
So, after bringing it to my guy, he said I need a new chain, great that must be the problem. Nope. Although the chain had kinks and rough spots and needed to be replaced.

He could not diagnose what the problem was, and assumed it could be something within the engine, and that looking for it would be expensive, if he could even find it.

After looking more into it, it seems an ECU flash is the next option. My real concern is throwing down 200-400 dollars on something that again, will not fix the problem. I understand it is a great improvement, but for now I want to just enjoy my bike haha. I'm going for a ride with a friend tomorrow, I'll try to post a clip of the problem and see if others recognize it.

Also, as far as people not "noticing" it, I find that very hard to believe. Could it be a bike to bike problem? Something like a slight difference somewhere will cause this? Also the previous owner claimed to not have noticed it.

Yes a video will definitely help us try to solve your problem... Im wondering if you are cruising around in 6th gear at speeds under 40mph when you experience your surging...

Edit: I can duplicate a what is called a " lugging" sensation on my FZ-07 in 6th gear at 30mph, its a natural thing to happen, just gotta keep the rpms up by downshifting 2-3 gears...I cant really feel a lugging sensation but more of a slightly strained sensation with my FJ-09 in 6th gear at 30mph( im running an totaly different ECU set up so it could produce a lugging sensation if i went with the norm ECU reflash route) ...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Yes a video will definitely help us try to solve your problem... Im wondering if you are cruising around in 6th gear at speeds under 40mph when you experience your surging... 
Edit: I can duplicate a what is called a " lugging" sensation on my FZ-07 in 6th gear at 30mph, its a natural thing to happen, just gotta keep the rpms up by downshifting 2-3 gears...I cant really feel a lugging sensation but more of a slightly strained sensation with my FJ-09 in 6th gear at 30mph( im running an totaly different ECU set up so it could produce a lugging sensation if i went with the norm ECU reflash route) ...

No no it's not an actual lugging like the gear is too high. If I'm in first gear or second just putting through traffic it's surging. Or if I'm at a constant speed like 30 mph in third gear it's there too.

I find it hard to believe an 0-ring chain could be so bad that it would cause a surging feel. Put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel with tranny in neutral. Check to see tight and loose parts of the chain. Check to see any individual links are kinked and not straightening out. Check that the teeth on the sprockets are straight and not bent over or have worn places where the chain pulls on the teeth. With the wheel stopped, pull the chain away from the sprocket. A worn out chain will pull away quite a bit. Check to see if any O-rings are missing.

The factory chain adjustment is too tight. There are other threads about this, I can't remember the correct adjustment, but I think it is about 1" slack in the bottom run with bike on kick stand.

At least from experience with my 2015, stock ECU's did not act like you are describing. Stock tune just sort of ran rough and had a "snatchy", over sensitive throttle.

My guess would be to check throttle body synch and operation of air injection system. It could be a vacuum leak. It could also be O2 sensor out of whack. Unfortunately, any one of a number of different sensors could cause this problem. The manual has extensive descriptions of how to check various sensors. As far as I know, there has not been any reports of consistent failure of any particular sensor.

This the problem with fuel injection, it can be expensive and take a lot of time to figure it out.

• 1 year later...
So I have this "issue" on my 2017 and I'd like to propose to you all that say you don't have this problem try the following and tell me what you get...

2nd gear, 25mph, just putz around down the street or in a parking lot or something and tell me if you get that surging or not.

The O2 sensor turning on/off like others have described seems like what is probably going on but I had my ECU flashed and I still get it. However, I'm not very confident that my flash was done properly.

Archived