Constant surging problem

Hey folks. I purchased a 2015 through a private sale with 9000 miles, brought to the dealer for maintenance and all that (documented). I finally have had the weather to ride it and I've discovered that when cruising and decelerating there is a constant sort of surging going on. It's jerky, and feels like an engine or chain problem. If I clutch in it minimizes or gets rid of the problem. Accelerating I feel nothing or its not there.

I took it into a local mechanic I've had good luck with and they thought the problem was that the rear axle was off a bit, and was causing the chain to move around? He explained that the sprocket was almost clean and unused on one side with the other side worn and dirty (I don't really know what this means). They claimed they fixed that, and that it fixed the problem. I went for an hour ride to enjoy the weather (its going to snow tomorrow, hooray for NE), and the problem was defiantly still there. 

Anyone have similar problems, know a fix, or know the problem I have? 

i'd bet either a flash of the ecu or kev's 02 mod would fix it. Of course I am NOT a mechanic I am just someone who had issues with surging at low speeds and used the o2 mod to fix the issue.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Did we finally figure out what not doing a throttle body sync will cause???

Sorry you're dealing with this.. no surging on my '15.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Did we finally figure out what not doing a throttle body sync will cause??? 
Sorry you're dealing with this.. no surging on my '15.
I totally agree with this. The first thing I would do is a Throttle Body Sync to see if that cures it. While you're there you could opt to look at the spark plugs and possibly change them since I doubt they've ever been changed. The service manual says they should be replaced at 8K miles and you said you're at 9. 
See my YouTube videos on TBS and spark-plug replacement.

check for air getting in between throttle body and cylinder head. ie. check they are seated and clamped correctly and that the rubber nipples sealing the vacuum take off are in good condition. Any extra air getting into the intakes will cause surging. Could be worth pushing some injector cleaner through with the fuel too, if the bike has stood for some time before you got it.

• Supporting Member
It's jerky, and feels like an engine or chain problem. If I clutch in it minimizes or gets rid of the problem. Accelerating I feel nothing or its not there. 
 the sprocket was almost clean and unused on one side with the other side worn and dirty
It sounds like your chain adjusters were previously set wrong, wearing the sprocket on only one side?  When they re-adjusted it, they probably set chain slack to factory specs. 
The manual that tells you to sync your throttle bodies every 4,000 miles and replace spark plugs every 8,000 miles also tells you to set your chain slack at 0.20 - 0.59 inch. 
Try the simple things first, inspect your sprockets for damage and your chain for kinks or tight spots, then set the chain slack a little looser than factory recommendations.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It's currently snowing right now and I have the bike tucked away in the garage. I'm bringing it to a well trusted home business motorcycle mechanic later this week. I'll let y'all know the results. Thanks for all the replies again.

Archived