Northern California VFR Convert

crd

I've been lurking for a while and considering the FJ09 as the possible next platform past my beloved 4th gen VFR750. SO decided to "try out" the VFR and well here I am :)

It's a silver '16 leftover from Berkeley.

Just thought I'd register and finally start participating.

QQRv6Gj.jpg
[/img]

• Premium Member
Try out the FJ-09? How was your experience at Berkeley Yamaha? No Yamaha dealer here in Fremont. Went all the way to K and B Motorsports in Petaluma to get a left over 2016 in black.
K&B Motorsports is where a friend of mine bought his red 2015, and where I just had my Cam Chain Tensioner recall done and a tire change on my red 2015.  Nice new building, nice folks, no complaints so far. 
On another note, welcome to the forum! :)

• Premium Member
I've been lurking for a while and considering the FJ09 as the possible next platform past my beloved 4th gen VFR750. SO decided to "try out" the VFR and well here I am :) 
It's a silver '16 leftover from Berkeley.

Just thought I'd register and finally start participating.

> [img]
Welcome to the forum from the North Bay! 8-)  

Try out the FJ-09? How was your experience at Berkeley Yamaha? No Yamaha dealer here in Fremont. Went all the way to K and B Motorsports in Petaluma to get a left over 2016 in black.
I just got back from spending the day doing a bit of a break in ride through the Santa Cruz Mountains and I'm more thrilled about it than ever! My experience with Berkeley was pretty hands off. I admit that I didn't do as much shopping around as I probably could have. My mates picked up a couple of 390 Dukes from K&B on the same day that I rode my FJ home and mentioned that they've still got a left over '16 for about $800 less than what I paid for mine hours after I rode mine home. While Berkeley was convenient for me in Oakland, that was the most expensive car I've ever hired  :D

• Premium Member
Welcome @crd !

I have a red 2015 in Oakland! I've talked with or bumped into various other FJ'ers in the Bay Area. There are quite a few of us.

I wound up buying mine almost two years ago in Santa Clara. I was living in SF and going to South Bay a lot at the time. The dealer experience was fine.

I'm sure whatever you paid was way less than what I paid.

For service, I take my bike to Tokyo Moto in SF. They're the best service shop ever, seriously. (Used to be more convenient tho when I was living in the city.)

Once you have a feel for the FJ (and perhaps once it's broken in more?) it would be great to hear your impressions vs. the VFR.

Here are the mods I have:

- Shad 36/36/48
- 2wd ECU flash
- T-Rex sliders "variety pack" ( http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=673 )
- Madstad 24" windscreen

If you'd like to go for a ride and swap some time, I'd be up for that. I don't remember what pre-ECU flash felt like and I'd be curious to be reminded...and you might hate the stock windscreen as much as I did (but I hope you don't).

Ride safe.

Welcome @crd ! 
I have a red 2015 in Oakland! I've talked with or bumped into various other FJ'ers in the Bay Area. There are quite a few of us.

I wound up buying mine almost two years ago in Santa Clara. I was living in SF and going to South Bay a lot at the time. The dealer experience was fine.

I'm sure whatever you paid was way less than what I paid.

For service, I take my bike to Tokyo Moto in SF. They're the best service shop ever, seriously. (Used to be more convenient tho when I was living in the city.)

Once you have a feel for the FJ (and perhaps once it's broken in more?) it would be great to hear your impressions vs. the VFR.

Here are the mods I have:

- Shad 36/36/48
- 2wd ECU flash
- T-Rex sliders "variety pack" ( http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=673 )
- Madstad 24" windscreen

If you'd like to go for a ride and swap some time, I'd be up for that. I don't remember what pre-ECU flash felt like and I'd be curious to be reminded...and you might hate the stock windscreen as much as I did (but I hope you don't).

Ride safe.

Thanks for the tips! I spoke with two FJ owners at Skywood Trading Post before heading out on Saturday and have seen quite a few more on the road.

As for service and repairs, I will tend to do work on my own at Moto Guild, a DIY moto repair shop on Treasure Island. If I'm not feeling super comfortable and capable, I'll usually talk to Rob or Michelle from Meteor Motorbikes in Oakland about scheduling some 1:1 time at Moto Guild or if I'm feeling totally out of my depth or utterly lazy I'll drop it off at their shop. They are great folks and have done excellent work for me in the past.

6e7520157bd3a96bdd4c20a9dd11797b.jpg

I test fit some new luggage this afternoon. I picked up a Reckless 80 system from Mosko Moto with the intention of being able to use for touring on the FJ as well as long dual sport trips on my DR650. The girl and I are doing a quick little overnight to the Monterey Bay so I figured it was a good excuse to test out the new kit.

Archived