Headlight Assembly - Easy Removal

• Premium Member
I'm hoping not to have to pull the headlight assembly at all, and only unplug one plug from the OEM headlight controller to connect a Kisan plug n' play headlight modulator I'm developing with Andy there.  The unit will sell for $115 and operate the high beam diode with a very compact controller that has a connection for the infra-red daylight sensor.  The unit will also able to work with incandescent bulb, so it can be moved to another bike.  I always run HLM, this will work not only on the FJ-09 but also the new FZ LED headlight.  A forum group buy may be possible.

But I was curious if there the HL assembly will easily slide off...so see the following and if you know, enlighten me (us) please.

By removing this screw and its counterpart on the right side of the fairing (unless you painted yours black its coated the usual dark army green) 

20170414_141235.jpg

and of course the left and right headlight assy mounting screws (view up at underside; headlight controller and cable to headlight and fuses also clearly visible)

20170414_134214.jpg

unplug the one 6-wire plug and top position light plug, the headlight assy should slide right out the front (the wind screen may need to also be removed). Correct?

20170414_134041.jpg20170414_134920.jpg20170414_135237.jpg20170414_140650.jpg20170414_140723.jpg20170414_140817.jpg20170414_140832.jpg20170414_141330.jpg20170414_141400.jpg

@hdgunnell it modulates the headlight between high beam and low beam repeatedly during the day to catch the attention of drivers.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
The oem hl controller takes the 12 volt (13 really) and precisely controls voltage and amperage to the led diodes. A hl modulator reduces light output (for the high beam only usually) to about 7% normal brightness every 3 ~ 5 seconds to attract the attention of brain dead cagers. A hlm is us dot legal in all 50 states if it also has a sensor that turns it off at night and a default off (i.e., modulating function) if it otherwise fails.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
I have been working with Kisan Tech to develop a plug and play headlight modulator for the FJ 09 fzo9 series and possibly the fzo7.

However because we have not been able to determine the manufacturer type of plug between the OEM headlight controller we have not been able to develop a plug-and-play utilizingKisan Tech's P115W-H3-HD HLM, which is required because when the high beam is on the low beam is also on with the fjo9 meanings you need a headlight modulator that uses dual mosfet circuits.

If anyone can determine the manufacturer and type of plug used for the OEM headlight controller let me know. I've taken it apart and posted pictures of it on the internet no one can tell me and neither can Yamaha which is very disheartening

• 8 months later...

Archived