Comparing Fuelly Data

I had to do a report for school on fuel economy earlier in the semester so I started tracking the fuel economy of my vehicles using Fuelly. Its quite easy, all it takes is a text message while you're at the pump. Here are links to the FJ-09 and FJR fuel economy data which I've been tracking since late March/April. I'll probably keep doing this since I like charting it. So it will continue to update as more miles are accumulated.

See fuel economy data for Audrey's FJ-09

See fuel economy data for Nate's FJR 1300 A

Share your fuel economy numbers in this thread for comparison!

Of course, for most of us, motorcycling is more about fun and less about fuel economy. Nonetheless, I still like tracking the data and seeing how efficient the bikes can perform.

• Premium Member
I'm a bit surprised your FJ1300 gets better mileage than the FJ09 and appears to use regular vs premium.

In my region omly E10 is available and that reduces mileage and increases prices significantly along with stupid high added taxes. $2.56 cash for E10 89 octane regular is the avg. and E10 93 octane premium is $3.49!!

So economy must also take into account and analyze ethonol blends and PPG as well as mpg.

As far as my FJ09s mpg, once worn-in (I'm superstitious about the term broken-in, which is also not accurately descriptive) with the Givi tour screen, Shad SH46 topcase, my girth and mass, and over exhuberant right wrist issues, 42 mpg was the norm. Now with the ECU flash and 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, mpg has dropped to under 40.

• Premium Member
When I see posts of the FJ09 getting over 50 MPG's I'm impressed. The best I've ever got was 46 mpg. In relation to the silly gas gauge ( which is just more of a reminder and not how I calculate) anything over 100 miles and the gauge jumping to the half mark is a bonus.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

FJR results very similar to mine on my 2003 FJR. However, i only get 51 with non-California fuel. It is amazing to ride across Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and go well beyond 300 miles before refueling. Locally average between 42-44 mpg.

At around 760 miles on my FJ-09, i got over 48 mpg. Most recent fill-up. Previous two averaged 44. Still wearing in.

I am meaning to do this but forgot on my first fill up already. I've logged every tank of gas on my Chevy Cruze. Its interesting to look at the data. FYI you don't have to text to submit data, I just use the mobile website...I wish they had an app but the mobile site works just fine. I pretty much only use ethanol free gas over the last several years our vehicles and small engines. It is more expensive but I've found it to be worthwhile fuel economy wise as well longevity wise for my motors and I'm doing the same for the FJ09. I'm lucky enough to have one gas station close to home that runs two pumps E-free.

I have the aCar app on my phone.  

My 3 month average on the FJ is 45.4 MPG.

I don't ride especially aggressively, but I do spend a lot of time in 5th gear on the highway.   I unconsciously go to the engine's sweet spot between 4 and 5,000 RPM and that's over 70mph in 6th.  

Seeing as I live 50+ miles from the nearest 70mph speed limit, that attracts some unwanted attention, ifyouknowwhatImean... ::)

And unless I'm mistaken., Yamaha only rates the FJ09 at about 42 mpg; though ymmv
Yamaha fuel economy estimate for the FJ09 is 44 and 36 for the FJR. I've never gotten a tank less than 38 mpg on the FJR, and that includes some very sporty riding at times.

FYI you don't have to text to submit data, I just use the mobile website...I wish they had an app but the mobile site works just fine. 
Submitting data via text message works well when I have no data service, which happens a lot riding through rural mid-west towns. There is an app on Android though.

Submitting data via text message works well when I have no data service, which happens a lot riding through rural mid-west towns. There is an app on Android though.
Good point, I've never used the text option just waited until I had data, but I can see its usefulness. I got excited when you said there was an android app...I follow their developments pretty closely and thought I missed it. All it is though is a "web app" that launches the mobile site...basically a shortcut if you don't already know how to get there. 

• 1 month later...
Share your fuel economy numbers in this thread for comparison! 
I have a 2013 FJR1300A with about 8k miles on it now. I have kept a record of the odometer readings and amounts of gas consumed for every fill-up since I got the bike. The range is from 42 to 47 mpg depending, I guess, on how I ride and measurement error in filling the tank to exactly the same level each time.

I only have 3 tanks tracked so far but I'm averaging 47.5 I missed tracking the first couple and I think I am around 700ish miles. This is with a mix of commuting to work (40 minutes) and just tooling around. As I mentioned I only run ethanol free fuel now unless it isn't available. It's 91 octane at the gas station near home I typically fill up at.

• Premium Member
With my bikini, hot weather windscreen versus the barn door Givi with MRW spoiler I get maybe a couple, three better MPG but still barely about 40. Now the ECU flash and especially the 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket don't help but a 7 MPG delta?!

Yes, I have an eager right wrist and have to use mostly E10 91 octane but really?

Archived