Strange tick

pnobels

Hi,

i discovered some kind of tick coming from my bike.  It's audible between 2500 and 4000 revs.  I believe it's also present under or above those revs but then you simply don't hear it.  You only feel it in the foot pegs.  I first thought it had something to do with the fact that the rear tire had been changed.  So took the rear tire off again, inspected bearings, tire, brakes, disc etc...  Found nothing wrong.  Installed it again, same problem.
I then checked the chain.  Found nothing strange there either.  No hard points.  Set the chain to Yamaha's tension spec.  Made no difference.
I then read posts about the cct.  First of all, my bike does not match the vin's mentioned there.  And it's also not a rattle i hear.  It's really a tick-tick-tick.   I can't reproduce the issue on the centerstand.  The tick is also there when i'm holding the clutch in.  It's almost exactly as if there's a stone or nail in the tire (which is not the case).  Also checked the front tire.  Found nothing strange there either.
I've been driving some 400 km with this now (i was on holidays in the UK when i discovered this first and had to get back home).  And i see no obvious defects on the bike. But still it's bothering me (once you notice the sound you start fixating on it).  Maybe it's normal and i never heard it before (the trip to the UK was the first holiday i took the bike on).  If something is not right i always go back to what has changed.  And just before i went on holidays i took the bike in for service (oil change) and had the rear tire changed. But after verifying all above i currently do not see any relation...
Tried to record the sound : 

You won't really hear a tick (guess the wind neutralizes this) but you clearly hear some noise...  Maybe somebody else has had a similar issue?  

Hi, you said with the clutch pulled in it's still making a noise, can you still feel it through the pegs with the clutch in ? Try turning the engine off at speed and free wheeling, could help narrow it down.

Still have the issue with engine off at speed and free wheeling... Only remaining suspects are i guess the sprocket which drives the chain, and the tire. Can't visually see anything wrong with the tire though...

Well at least you know its not engine related, from your initial post you have gone through a methodical approach to finding the problem, and i think you need to look again as you say to the drive train and rear wheel, don't take it as the rear wheel/tyre was fitted correctly by the dealer, take a look at a workshop manual for the correct rear wheel fitment and the rear brake, also that the tyre is seated properly and balanced.

• 2 months later...
Glad you found the problem. I personally haven't heard that sound before.
Amazing that 1x frozen link could create that much noise......

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived