45K Hard Start

I'm coming back from Lake Tahoe and get to a small town in CA. MacDoel, stop at a gas station to get directions to the General Store and when I got back on the bike.  It wouldn't start.  It cranked as though there was no spark, not even a hint of firing.  I moved it to the shade and waited.  Removed the tank bag and opened the gas cap.  Closed it and it started right up.  This was the first time for this to happen.  Happened a day later, so I did the same with the fuel cap and it started right up.  A bit different then the other hard to start threads, so I thought to post it.
  • Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
Do you suspect a pinched or clogged vent line from the tank? When you opened the tank, was there pressure on the filler cap or a psshhht sound like opening a beer can? Just thinking out loud here.
Glad you were able to get it started and weren't left stranded.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

There was a common problem on the original FJ's (FJ1100/1200) where the rubber vent valves in the gas would malfunction. The malfunction would create a vacuum in the gas tank and not allow gas to flow.

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/1/2017 at 12:54 AM, betoney said:

Do you suspect a pinched or clogged vent line from the tank? When you opened the tank, was there pressure on the filler cap or a psshhht sound like opening a beer can? Just thinking out loud here.
Glad you were able to get it started and weren't left stranded.

Def had something like this happen to me today when I put on my new Driven Racing Halo cap. I’m just gonna drive around with the original cap and bolts with me in case I have problems. I’m confused as to how complex the stock cap is compared to what I just installed. Just is still out I guess. Driven does not make crap, so I have to assume this product has been tested extensively.   I also know how finicky motors can be when it comes to proper vacuum. Maybe this cap ultimately won’t play well with the FJ. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion.