Handlebar Recall FJ/FZ-09 - git'er'dun!

• Premium Member
Hey guys,
Just a reminder not to procrastinate important recalls.
I had mine done recently, but I saw an incident where a rider nearly lost control.
I was riding around north Georgia in the Suches area when I saw a pair of FZ-09's and riding standing around on the side of the road. One had his hands up under the headlights so I stopped to see if they needed assistance (I keep tools in my saddlebags).
Turns out that while coming out of a right hand bend his handlebars continued to turn when he wanted to straighten up.  Thankfully he was able to recover without crashing, but the riser bolt holding the risers to the triple-tree clamps dropped out of the bottom allowing the left riser to completely disconnect from the triple-tree clamp. The right side riser bolt was loose enough to allow the handlebars to pivot where the right handlebar riser is secured to the triple-tree clamp.
He was two hours from home, and it's fun-fact time! The large bolt from the passenger grab handle just in front of the tail light is a perfect fit and threads in. We were able to secure the left side and tighten the right side so he could get home. It turns out we were riding in the same direction so I followed him for a couple hours south until he took his highway exit.  Hopefully I get the bolt back in the mail after his recall repair is completed.
Be safe out there!

I've had mine done, but good info to know that it was worth doing. Well done on helping and your resourceful scavenging of bolts ??

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for reminding me. I had mine done at the dealer a few months ago. On the way home, I noticed the bars were not straight, and when I went to straighten them, I noticed the mechanic did not torque down any of the nuts or bolts. I tightened them myself with lock tight, but I forgot to check if the studs were lock tight-ed into the risers. I will have to check that.

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered the recall part at the dealer a couple weeks ago. When I was there they showed me a set of handle bar brackets off a bike the recall had been done on the stud part of the bolt had come out of the mount pretty scary

As an easily confused engineer I can't quite determine if my vin is in the range?

My VIN:  JYARN37Y1GA000790 (is the X after the Y a variable or an actual VIN element? Is 1 between 0 & X?  G is between F & H ... )
VIN Range 4 : Begin : JYARN37Y0FA000018 End : JYARN37YXHA001180 Not sequential

Also my bike was a lightly used 2016 demo model with a 104 miles on it.  I believe it was a part of a Yamaha demo fleet since the dealer said it wasn't their demo model.  It just showed up from Yamaha with directions to sell so I got a pretty good deal in June.  Anyway, it seems reasonable the handle bar recal would have been done?  Is there a way to tell if it's been completed looking at the installed handle bar parts?  I have not received any notification from Yamaha, nor was it mentioned at the time of purchase.

• Premium Member
The 10th digit is the year digit. The year 2001=1, 2002=2, etc. Then 2010=A, 2011=B etc. So 2014=E, 2015=F, 2016=G, 2017=H. So basically, motorcycles built from 2015-2017 are currently part of the recall.

The 11th digit identifies the plant the motorcycle was produced in.

The 12-17th digit is the sequential production number. If they specified non-sequential then the 12-17th digits can be ignored and the recall will likely cover all model years specified. If it were sequential, it would be the 18th motorcycle built in 2015 to the 1,180th built in 2017.

The easiest way to know if it's been done is to contact a local dealer and they can run your VIN through the system and tell you if any recall work needs to be completed.  You can also try Yamaha Corporate Customer Relations at (800) 962-7926.

Just to echo a previous post, I too had the recall done and the bars were crooked when I picked it up....to the tune of a couple of inches off. Brought it back and made them fix it to the point where the bike was rideable. When I got home, I loosened and then re-torqued all the bolts to get them perfect. Apparently the crooked bars happen when the guys in the shop tighten the bolts in the wrong sequence, doing the bolts on the bottom first can result in the risers being slightly crooked.

Called and confirmed the recall has been performed on my my FJ. I still think I run through losing the triple clamps and wheel pinch bolts and make sure nothing's in a bind. Handle bars feel ever so slightly crooked to be when riding. Thanks for the info super.

Finally got it done... my FJ was returned to me with no issues. If anybody here is on the southside of Atlanta, Freedom Powersports has done a good job on the FJ 2x now.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Finally got it done... my FJ was returned to me with no issues. If anybody here is on the southside of Atlanta, Freedom Powersports has done a good job on the FJ 2x now.
That's who I purchased my FJ from. They're a bit far from me so I've been taking mine to Mountain Motorsports Mall of GA location and they've done solid work as well.  I think the Mountain Motorsports prices are a bit steep though, and when I asked about various services they sometimes bill by the job and not by book labor.  When the service bundle I purchased runs out, I'll start doing my own work. 

Archived