The Big Loop - Farkles?

So if you're not familiar with the Big Loop, it's a trip around Australia.

There are several ways to do this, from Federal Highway 1, which is about 17,000Ks of pristine tar, to the dirt way, which can be up to 40,000Ks (predominantly dirt, everything from goat tracks to corrugated dirt highways).

I'm planning about the 20,000K mark, over 3-odd months, of mostly camping. 
I'll be carrying about 30 - 40kgs of gear (including water/fuel/tools etc), and riding one-up.

Here's what I've already got:
Hard Panniers (came stock with the Oz version)
Custom seat (made by a local bloke, an enormous improvement)

Things I'm thinking of adding:

Crash protection/skid plate (SW Motech or Higdonian, this will probably be  a price-based decision. The Higdonian comes to almost a grand AUD once shipped here  :'( )
Touring Screen (CalSci or Givi probably - again, choice influenced by availability locally)
90/10 tyres, like a Conti TA or similar.
More lighting (particularly useful if I get caught out a bit later trying to find somewhere to camp)
Better suspension (I've got a local suspension guru whose recommendations I'll mostly take, but any specific recommendations won't go astray).

Any further thoughts? What have people found invaluable on a long-distance ride, with a bit of dirt? Any specific tyre, suspension, crash protection recommendations?

So if you're not familiar with the Big Lap, it's a trip around Australia. 
There are several ways to do this, from Federal Highway 1, which is about 17,000Ks of pristine tar, to the dirt way, which can be up to 40,000Ks (predominantly dirt, everything from goat tracks to corrugated dirt highways).

I'm planning about the 20,000K mark, over 3-odd months, of mostly camping. 
I'll be carrying about 30 - 40kgs of gear (including water/fuel/tools etc), and riding one-up.

Here's what I've already got:
Hard Panniers (came stock with the Oz version)
Custom seat (made by a local bloke, an enormous improvement)

Things I'm thinking of adding:

Crash protection/skid plate (SW Motech or Higdonian, this will probably be  a price-based decision. The Higdonian comes to almost a grand AUD once shipped here  :'( )
Touring Screen (CalSci or Givi probably - again, choice influenced by availability locally)
90/10 tyres, like a Conti TA or similar.
More lighting (particularly useful if I get caught out a bit later trying to find somewhere to camp)
Better suspension (I've got a local suspension guru whose recommendations I'll mostly take, but any specific recommendations won't go astray).

Any further thoughts? What have people found invaluable on a long-distance ride, with a bit of dirt? Any specific tyre, suspension, crash protection recommendations?

I did a circumnavigation of Oz some time ago on my BMW R1200 GS.   Wouldn't dream of doing it on a Tracer with OE seat - but see you've got that covered. 
I carried a plastic 'can' of 5L fuel on a bracket I made-up and mounted on the rhs pillion footpeg, keeping it low.   It was empty much of the time and I never did need to use it even when filled, but it was a comfort knowing it was there.   On other outings in the NT I have had to empty the spare can due to local unavailability of fuel.  Get hold of a state-by-state list of Yamaha dealerships, just in case.   

Carefully consider the different seasons in the north and south and depart in the appropriate clockwise/ counter-clockwise direction to avoid excessive cold in Vic, SA, and the SW of WA this time o'year, and excessive heat, rain, humidity in the Top End Dec to end-Feb. In the Top End beware road-trains!   Pristine tar' - hmmmmm!  Some of the highways, especially in WA, are highly abrasive, so be prepared for fresh rubber as needed.

Pack clothing accordingly, but do not over-pack.

There are many large 'blackout' areas for mobile coverage in various regions, and not always the most likely ones.  

Some form of Roadside Assist is highly recommended, again just in case.  

Do not over-plan - flexibility gives the most satisfaction, I've always found.

PM me if you wish with any specifics.. and safe travelling. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Are you including Tasmania ?

One of my neighbors and his wife took 12 months to go around, on Harley cruisers, when they got back they bought ADV bikes (GS and Tiger) because of all the dirt they wanted to do, that the hogs or the riders couldn't handle.

I have the Givi screen, not entirely happy, added an MRA X-creen and it's now bearable.

Cruise control ?

Take a head torch !
Don't use E10.
Merino t-shirts don't stink.
Take double the money and half the luggage.
Consider additional personal protection such as the Helite vest..

Are you taking a topbox ? If not the cheap rack that Wordsmith and I have gives you more room to strap on a drybag or something.

Cruise control is a solid suggestion, thanks! 

I'll look at other screens then - the Givi was tempting because it's easier to get in Aus, but I definitely don't want to be doing 20+k with a screen I hate. 
I'm definitely doing Tasmania. Definitely. Loved it by car, will love it more by bike. 
What's the top-rack, and how far back does it shift the weight? I'd love one, but am always slightly conscious of how much it lightens up the front, as you start shifting back. Being a bike that's slightly prone to front-end wobbles anyway, I don't want to encourage that, especially if I end up riding in to head winds across the Nullarbor.

That's a tidy looking set-up, certainly better put together than my last trip away:

IMG_20170422_064049.jpg

Since then I've picked up a dry-bag (thank you ALDI sales!), so it should all be a bit better put together next time.

I'll also be picking up a couple new pieces of camping gear, including a more compact sleeping bag. The one in that pic is massive, and took up most of the space under the tarp

Won't be a good long while yet, Ive got a kid on the way, but if I don't start booking in/saving/prepping, I doubt it'll ever happen. There's a group I go camping with from time to time, I'll get some of the gear together and start testing it out with those guys, figure out what I want to take etc. This is a bucket list item, so I'm ok sitting on it for a while.

Where do you get ROK straps? They've been recommended to me a million times now, but the only Australian sources I found were pretty dear.

Is it your first child ?
If so I think your priorities may change after the birth.
But it's good to keep a goal in the back of your mind to help you through the tougher times.

It is my first, yes. I'm sure it'll jig priorities a bit, but there's a handful of things I want to get done before quitting my day job and going farming, and a loop of Aus is definitely on that list.

Cheers for the linky links, I'll check them out.

Don't forget paracord or something for a clothesline.

Also I usually pack a sarong.
Useful as a:
sarong,
scarf,
keffiyeh,
towel,
sheet,
pillowcase,
tie the corners and make a bag,
use it to filter liquid,
for shade,
wrapper for breakables,
etc, etc.

Best wishes for the birth and your trip !

I see that thoughts, ideas, suggestions, recommendations are flowing thick and fast!   Great!

One other thing I'd strongly recommend is to lower the final drive gearing by means of different-sized sprocket(s) on the bike.   There's plenty of advice and discussion here about this - just use the SEARCH function.   If you stick with the standard sport-oriented gearing you'll be constantly searching for that seventh (or even eighth) gear a helluva lot over these very long distances.   Your motor will appreciate the effort and be less-stressed, fuel consumption will be better, and you will yourself be more relaxed - if only mentally - if you feel the bike working a bit easier to get you around.  The cost is small, and the changes easily reversed on your return.

And - if not already covered - well-fitting ear-plugs!

Enjoy...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

For inexpensive but perfectly satisfactory top-boxes try Third Gear (a reliable Melbourne company). I've had several of their cases on various bikes, and my current Tracer carries - when needed - a  scooter-sized 28L top-box from them costing around AUD$30.

Archived