Greetings from the UK

yannm

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up my 2016 Race Blu Tracer this afternoon. I can hardly wait.

I'll be doing a part-exchange with my Kawasaki Versys 1000. I'll be sad to see the Versys go as it's been such a good bike that took me on many adventures in the UK and Europe. But I'm so excited about the new Tracer. The two bikes have very different character and I'm looking forward to the change.

I guess that for a while I'll be looking at accessories! First in the list is to find a screen to replace the awful, noisy thing that comes with the bike.

Yann

• 2 weeks later...
Hi owle,

The lower weight and smaller overall size is what attracted me to the Tracer.

The Versys was a spectacular touring bike with an incredible engine and a comfy seat. I rode 29000 miles with ease on that bike. But the 30kg difference was immediately obvious when I started riding the Tracer! The engine is not as torque-y but it just wants to play. ;)

Since it is sold as a Sports Tourer there are a few troubling omissions that I will have to work around. There is no logical place to fit a SatNav (on the handlebar for now but not satisfactory). What, no remote preload adjustment?? Yamaha doesn't offer hard panniers in Europe. Weird, but solved with a very nice set of Givi Trekkers.

Yann

Since it is sold as a Sports Tourer there are a few troubling omissions that I will have to work around.  
Yann
IMHO the sports-tourer designation is rubbish.   It's a 95% sports 5% tourer, and even the spending of a lot of dosh isn't going to change that.   I'd really like to see Yamaha produce a real/ serious touring-oriented bike based on the CP3 engine, but with lots of refinements.   But that would undoubtedly take it out of the excellent-value-for-money category in which it currently reigns.   And it's weird that if Yamaha doesn't offer the hard panniers - they are OE here - why have they left on the pannier rails?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Greetings.

With regards to the Sat-Nav mount, I opted for one of these to keep it nearer my eye-line. With a few spacers to move the screen forward it works quite well.
GPS holder

I did originally have it mounted on the bars but it did interfere with my view of the dash and meant I had to look down more than I liked.

Hi owle, 
.;)

Since it is sold as a Sports Tourer there are a few troubling omissions that I will have to work around. There is no logical place to fit a SatNav (on the handlebar for now but not satisfactory). What, no remote preload adjustment

Yann
Know what you mean, not only no remote preload ...... but access to the shock is well "shocking". 
The ramball mount  ib has linked to is a good option for a GPS mount, i have one ..... works well although depending on the screen you use you may have to shim the screen to position the mount ...... Puge touring screen works with the cosmo ball mount.

IMHO the sports-tourer designation is rubbish.   It's a 95% sports 5% tourer, and even the spending of a lot of dosh isn't going to change that.   I'd really like to see Yamaha produce a real/ serious touring-oriented bike based on the CP3 engine, but with lots of refinements.   But that would undoubtedly take it out of the excellent-value-for-money category in which it currently reigns.   And it's weird that if Yamaha doesn't offer the hard panniers - they are OE here - why have they left on the pannier rails?
I won't try to turn it into a full-on tourer but I will travel with it anyway. The luggage is already sorted out. Then I'll try to find a better screen. Later on I'll look into relocating the GPS. 
My first camping trip to Wales this weekend didn't bring up any particular issue. I'm getting used to the seat so that's good. I hadn't touched the suspension yet so I'll see how that goes after a bit of adjustment.

I didn't get an answer as to why the hard panniers are not available. They do sell soft cases so the rails can still be useful. But I removed them to fit the Givi mounts. When the racks are off the bike all that is visible are 2 round mounts in place of the rail and a third point under the pillion foot peg.

Greetings. 
With regards to the Sat-Nav mount, I opted for one of these to keep it nearer my eye-line. With a few spacers to move the screen forward it works quite well.
GPS holder

I did originally have it mounted on the bars but it did interfere with my view of the dash and meant I had to look down more than I liked.
The Cosmo GPS mount seems interesting. I have also found some clever DIY solutions on the French forum. But I can't really start on this until I have found a screen to my liking.

In its current position the GPS is not blocking my view of the dash but it means I have to look down a lot. And it is also too close to me so my eyes need to adjust. Definitely something I need to address.

First service done.

The suspension was adjusted to my weight yesterday. And what a difference it made. The bounciness of the rear is gone and the front feels good. The downside is that it is far from being a comfort setup. It made the bike handle very well but it is a bit harsh, a bit too sporty maybe. Anyway it is so much fun to ride now. I can experiment later if I want to try to find softer settings while keeping the precise handling.

What a bike!

Archived