Waiting for the ice to melt.

memphomaniac

I was just at a Memphis dealership this past weekend, and got a sales invoice put together - they had 2 FJs, one of each color. So I was trying to decide what options I'd go with, and BAM, we got hit with freezing rain, so now we have ice everywhere. But I will pull the trigger very soon. I've only had bigger bikes before, an FJR1300 and a K1600GT. I just want something nice and light but still with respectable power, and set up for long trips to the mountains, as Memphis is boring. I hope the FJ is the ticket. Looking forward to future discussions here.
Cheers,
Bob

I have an FJR, actually two, one is a parts bike now. Only enough plastic left after two crashes for one bike. I have always wanted a 500 lbs FJR. The FJ fits the ticket. Last week I did a 500 mile ride and was totally impressed, and that is with the original seat. I have put over 220K on my FJR's and I use a Russell Day Long seat there.  I weigh 160 lbs. so the power on the FJ is enough as you can accelerate faster than on the FJR.  There is actually less need to shift gears on the FJ than on the FJR, hard to believe,  but true.  FJ has a more comfortable riding position.  I'm going to miss the FJR windscreen though.  Happy hunting.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eatpasta
I was just at a Memphis dealership this past weekend, and got a sales invoice put together - they had 2 FJs, one of each color. So I was trying to decide what options I'd go with, and BAM, we got hit with freezing rain, so now we have ice everywhere. But I will pull the trigger very soon. I've only had bigger bikes before, an FJR1300 and a K1600GT. I just want something nice and light but still with respectable power, and set up for long trips to the mountains, as Memphis is boring. I hope the FJ is the ticket. Looking forward to future discussions here. Cheers,
Bob

The power to weight ratio on the FJ is pretty desirable....and I think a lot of people are going to be surprised in how the bike feels when you really get on it! 
welcome to the site!!

Guest eatpasta
You California guys are killing me. I get to look at mine hooked up with the battery tender occasionally. Yesterday, I gave it a caress, since it would snow again today.
if it makes you feel any better, I got wet on monday and the FJR was telling me that it got all the way down to 40!  Was wishing I had my GS's heated grips!

• Premium Member
welcome to the site!!

I had a practical demo of that yesterday when I opened the throttle WFO for the first time joining a motorway. 

My helmet & sunglasses were pushed back into my face and I learnt I need to duck down a bit rather than sit upright like on the last two adventure style bikes!

I've had the bike just over a week now and done over 300 miles in temperatures ranging from 7 to 19 C (44-64F) as it has been quite mild so far this month.

This bike is going to be what we call a Q bike i.e. people will underestimate the performance until they find one passing their NinjaCBRZZR
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived