Error code 42, no MPH but runs

docsimple

OK, here we go again. I just replaced my ignition switch but just prior to that I replaced the rear wheel, chain and sprockets so I am not sure when the code appeared. I looked it up and it says 3 possibilities.

Rear wheel sensor
clutch sensor
clutch switch

I am leaning towards rear wheel sensor but it looks fine. No scratches or anything. I have disassembled the bike again and I can't see any loose connections. Anybody else get this before? I am supposed to leave town on saturday for a 1000 mile trip and I'm not to concerned about the lack of mph but if it is more significant that would suck.

thanks
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

completely disconnected the rear sensor and had no change to the error code. Ordered a new sensor, hope it's the right part....
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

how do you clear the codes? i thought you needed a yamaha device for that

What year is your bike? I'm assuming pre-2017 otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the error code in the first place. You should be able to clear codes through some process of pressing buttons on the guage that I am unfamiliar with but there is a write up somewhere on the forum here.

its a 2015. And just fyi I had to pay a ton of money to overnight this part from Georgia because there were only 2 left in the country according to 2 dealerships I spoke with. I now own one. Think this might be a common problem?

I'll see if I can finds the write-up. I have an obd scanner but its a little bluetooth one that i run form my phone.... I saw that it was possible to build a harness but I am supposed to leave in 48 hours. Hopefully this fixes the issue. If not it still runs so when I get pulled over I can honestly say I have no idea how fast I was going :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

You don't need to worry about the OBDII scanner as you can access diag and erase faults through the dash see below...

Try this to erase faults in memory (per 2015 service manual): 

[ul type=disc][*]On the dash display, press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together, and turn the ignition key to ON... and wait about 8s until "SELECT" + "ECU" show on the display.[*]Press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together again for about 2s, until "DIAG" shows on the display.[*]Press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together again for about 2s, until "DIAG" + "DATA" show on the display.[*]You are now in the diagnostic mode, and you can switch through "DIAG" modes by pressing the "TCS" and "RESET" buttons.[*]Keep toggling the "TCS" or "RESET" buttons until you get to "DIAG 62". If you see anything other than "00" in there, you have stored fault codes. BTW "DIAG 61" will show you what fault codes are stored in memory... it will self toggle through them.[*]To erase the faults in the memory toggle the red start switch from kill (crossed out symbol) to run (rounded arrow). Use caution here (bike in neutral, pull in the clutch just in case this thing wants to start)... I've never had to do this on my bike (2015).[*]To leave the diagnostic mode, turn ignition to OFF.[/ul]
Good luck.

dbeau, dude... thanks. I'll do this when I get off work tonight. Man will I be pissed at myself it that clears the issue and its all better. But, better safe than not leaving for a great trip!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

According to the service manual, you should be able to test the rear speed sensor via the diagnostic menu... the meter value on the dash should keep going up in number to 999 than reset to 0...the numbers are always cumulative and doesn't reset each time wheel is stopped... this is found under diagnostic 07 when you toggle thru the diagnostic codes... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

wow, thanks norcal. I will have my hands full tonight trying out all these tests. The bike is currently top disassembled and up on the c stand. I should be able to run the testing with the rear wheel spinning or is it just an electrical test? I wish the damn Yamaha tool wasnt 40 bazillion dollars.

I have a digital copy of the service manual and was searching it but I dont remember seeing what you posted. Got the page numbers now though!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

its a signal test you should be able to perform...just spin the wheel by hand I just tried it...

just prior to all this the manual says disconnect the fuel pump before using the diagnostic menu since the red start button is used on various test..

dont pull the starter fuse... some test require the engine to cycle to a reading, thats why they said disconnect the fuel pump... these test are like getting air temp reading or battery voltage for example...

the engine does not need to be running to test the rear speed sensor...when you are still under the diag setting toggle to. code 7, make sure bike is in N...the data should read 0... now spin the wheel by hand and see if the numbers go up, the numbers are cumulative till 999...

toggle to code 62 is the erase history 

in fact since I was messing around with all the available sensor inputs I took a few secs to set my throttle cable slack better by watching the sensor numbers move...why didnt I think of this earlier ?