• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Newbie from Spokane

coyotechris

Greetings from Spokane.  I am an older guy who has toured for 50 years.  I have an FJR and a Honda NT700v. I love both bikes but I am 68 and they seem to get heavier every year.  I dont feel I can tour any more AND take US forest service roads to remote campgrounds with these two bikes.  I wont sell these bikes for at least a 3-5 years of touring but I would like something in the BMW F700GS/Triumph Tiger/Suzuki V-strom class for taking a few dirt/gravel roads.  I am lanky and have long legs so seat height isnt a problem but I like a low center of gravity and light weight.  The FJ-09 has much to recommend it and I see dealers still have 2015s left over at low prices.  If the 2018 has a cruise control I would be all over it.  Is there some sort of a cutoff date /serial number/ etc for when the cam chain tensioner hopefully was finally fixed?  I have read the tech bulliten thread. Thanks!

https://fj-09.org/thread/3832/bulletin-m2016-chain-tensioner-noise

• Premium Member
Coyotechris - Welcome to the board, glad to have you join us.

I don't remember hearing a date on when Yamaha resolved this issue, maybe someone else has a better memory than mine. That being said, Yamaha has been fixing these for folks when they encounter the issue under warranty. If you are concerned, (and I wouldn't be), ask the dealer to certify the work has been done on the bike you purchase. (in writing of course)

I haven't heard anyone raise this issue on the board in a very long time.

I think they caught it pretty quickly. When I purchased my brand new 2015 I asked the dealership to make sure the recall had been performed. They said mine had come from the factory with the updated cam chain tensioner.

'15 FJ09

Thanks Folks! When the service Bulliten said bikes into 2016, I assumed those in 2015 had the issue. I will have to read the service bulletin again and see if there is a number stamped on the outside of the tensioner to where someone could walk into a dealership and tell if a bike had been upgraded.

• Supporting Member
Thanks Folks! When the service Bulliten said bikes into 2016, I assumed those in 2015 had the issue. I will have to read the service bulletin again and see if there is a number stamped on the outside of the tensioner to where someone could walk into a dealership and tell if a bike had been upgraded.
It was a warranty recall so it can be checked at the dealer from your VIN number. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived