Magic? ... Increase of power

Hi,
I got my FJ-09 2016 at 5,000kms. When I took it to the 8,000 kms service, the Yamaha shop owner tested it and said he still felt the motor tight. I could not sense it, since it is the first high cc I ever had... So, I was riding today, went up to a forest zone, at around 3000 mts over sea level. I was driving back to where I live (1,500 over sea level), and out of the blue, I just noticed and increase of motor power... Now it has 11,000 kms... Could it happen that, suddenly, the motor got lose and now has its normal power, after running 11,000 kms? I use to have it in standard mode... And I kept it for this trip.
Whatever the cause was , now it feels more fun

Guest kernowjim
No idea what that could be although these motors are known to loosen up with miles/km's, they certainly get smoother in any case.  A sudden increase in power could be electronic in some way, maybe the mapping wasn't switching internally?  The display might have said you were in Standard but actually in B mode?  How that would happen is anyone's guess.

No idea what that could be although these motors are known to loosen up with miles/km's, they certainly get smoother in any case.  A sudden increase in power could be electronic in some way, maybe the mapping wasn't switching internally?  The display might have said you were in Standard but actually in B mode?  How that would happen is anyone's guess.

Clearly in STD mode... "A" mode now is very powerful . This bike has been a box of surprises... At 8000 kms service, started vibrations and Yamaha techitians cannot explain. Now, driving down from 3,000 mts over sea level, back to 1,500 mts... more power out of the blue , and indeed more fun. I almost forgive the bike on the vibrations, trading by good power ☺️

Higher altitude = less oxygen. You should get better performance at sea level, laws of physics.

Also an issue for him climb events.

Also change in fuel grade could do it... did you fill up mid route?

Atmospheric pressure will affect performance too.

Clever electronics in modern engines automatically compensates for all of this without you having to re-tune the bike

Have fun, ride safe!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived