Engine Cage Mounting Damage Potential

dbeau

So I'm curious what others think about the potential for the engine/frame to be damaged if the skid plate is struck hard enough on those particular engine cages that have a skid plate and also mount to the frame/engine.

My cage has a skid plate that is attached to both sides of the bike's engine guards that are then attached to the bike with the bolts that hold the engine into the frame. It occurred to me that possibly striking the skid plate hard enough may cause some damage to the engine mounts. 

Thought?

In my very honest opinion... the FJ-09 is NOT an adventure bike. Thus, made for asphalt and not bombing down gravel roads. Some people choose to use it as such and well... obviously stuff breaks or is poorly designed and will not protect as much as they would hope so in a crash.

When is the last time you needed a skidplate on a street bike?

The bike is low enough as it is without adding stuff under to drag further.

Will I have crashbars on my FJ-09? Maybe one day but in my head, it's more farkle than actual protection.

As for the OP, why not spill the beans? You sound like the kid in elementary school that says he has a secret about you but wont tell you and tell everyone else he has a secret about you...

First thing to protect on FJ 09 with a skid plate is the low hanging oil pan. Several people have torn holes in the oil pan while riding on the street. A Higdonion skid plate saved my oil pain when I cased it over a deep pot hole in a paved road. There is a thread where a guy hit a dear at highway speeds and bike tumbled down the road, but was repairable due to Higdonion skid plate and cage. But no cage can guarantee no damage in severe wrecks. My last Ducati was totaled because I did not have a cage on it. Take your best guess.

The skid plate is ~.25" Al plate. The frame and motor mounts are thicker, and have a more rigid geometry. Thus the skid plate will deform / break before bending your frame / motor mounts.
Yep, good summary. Certainly what happened when I hit my skid plate. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
I think what you have to keep in mind is what ever level of impact force you are concerned with being transferred to the frame/engine mounts will certainly do more damage to the engine without the skid plate than with.  Just don't ride with the attitude that you are invulnerable with the skid plate.

Archived