FJ 09 Road Food photo thread

• Supporting Member
Since the FJ is the perfect vehicle to track down great food at out-of-the way locations, I thought it was worth a thread for sharing some road food highlights.

What have you got?

I'll start with amazing bacon/egg/cheese breakfast tacos, with hot verde salsa. From MaRita's roadside taco trailer just south of Sweeny, Texas. Great mid-ride breakfast break...

f698d257e2ed5611f2ab3e197af194ef.jpg

• Supporting Member
Since the FJ is the perfect vehicle to track down great food at out-of-the way locations, I thought it was worth a thread for sharing some road food highlights.  
What have you got?

I'll start with amazing bacon/egg/cheese breakfast tacos, with hot verde salsa. From MaRita's roadside taco trailer just south of Sweeny, Texas. Great mid-ride breakfast break...

f698d257e2ed5611f2ab3e197af194ef.jpg
I lived in Corpus Christie about 12 years ago.  A few mini marts around town had made-to-order breakfast tacos/burritos like you have pictured.  A couple of ladies behind the bar, one cooking and a few taking and filling orders with customers lined up around the store.  And they had fresh made, REAL tortillas!!  Anyone who has had REAL tortillas knows what I am talking about. They were the best!  I have never found anything as good since.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I lived in Corpus Christie about 12 years ago.  A few mini marts around town had made-to-order breakfast tacos/burritos like you have pictured.  A couple of ladies behind the bar, one cooking and a few taking and filling orders with customers lined up around the store.  And they had fresh made, REAL tortillas!!  Anyone who has had REAL tortillas knows what I am talking about. They were the best!  I have never found anything as good since.

Outstanding breakfast tacos are a regional delicacy along the Texas Gulf Coast, and you’re absolutely right that real fresh-made tortillas make or break the deal. The best places are often as you described, tucked away in gas stations and mini marts, family run, and often only open from 4:00 am to 9:00 am.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Not sure this totally fits the category, as I didn't actually take a photo of my delicious halibut chowder, but I highly recommend stopping in at the Oyster Bar off you happen to be riding the infamous Chuckanut Drive in WA.

Pretty tasty scenery to go along with the high-quality food.

Chuckanut_Lunch_Spot.jpg

Archived