• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rear wheel turns while in neutral on centre stand.

I started the FJ09 while on the centrestand the other day.  Never did before.  I've never had a bike with one actually.
Bike in neutral but the rear wheel started spinning slowly.  Would get up to maybe 2 or 3 kp/h.
I touched it with the toe of my boot and my hand and it would very easily stop, but would start turning again as soon as I stopped touching it.

Rode to the store and did a bit of shopping and when I came out I tried it again, but this time it wouldn't turn on its own in neutral.

Tested again a few days later and it once again started turning.
Seems to only do it when cold.

Is this normal?

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Yep. Perfectly normal. Cold viscosity of oil is higher so you get viscous drag in the clutch, enough to move the rear wheel, but only a small force so easy to stop with your hand.

As the oil warms up, the oil molecules get more mobile and slip over each other more easily so the viscosity drops. The viscous drag is now too small to rotate the wheel.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Good to know. Thanks guys! 
Mark
Good to ask too, it's what I love about bike forums
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived