former Yamaha triple, XS engine?

Was walking over to my FJ09 yesterday and I heard someone yell "What the hell, is that a Yamaha?

An older guy was walking over and started asking me about it.  I said yes, and he said he'd never seen one before (they aren't really common around here, but aren't an oddity like the Triumph Tiger).
Said he used to be parts guy at a Yamaha shop south of the city "way back".  Asked how big it was, I said it was an 850cc triple.

He looked at me for a second and said "Really?  Another triple?" and said he had no idea Yamaha had another 3cylinder. He asked what they balance it with, but I have no idea. He said that when he was a parts guy, Yamaha had a 3cylinder "back then" and it was really rough and had a lot of problems because it wasn't balanced well "because of that third cylinder".

I said that this one was really smooth, but that everything was smooth for me because I was coming from a 650 single (2003 KLR).

I googled it, and I suspect he was referring to the XS750 and XS850 triples that were in the 70's and 80's.  No mention on reliability of them in the article.  For those that would know, were the engines that bad?
Also, what is the CP3 balanced with?

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

FYI and IMHO, Yamaha has made smooth, successful triples since the FX140 they put in the Waverunners. Which grew into the snowmobiles starting with the Vector models (derived from the RX1) which was the first time anyone had installed a 4cyl 4 stroke motor in a sled - never mind the fact it was based on a sport bike motor!Redesigned with a Crossplane Crankshaft for the fz09 based on the M1/R1 crossplane engine.

Those XS motors were a peach. ?.

Did Europe/Asia have any Yamaha triples after those early models? Anyone know?

-Skip

Was walking over to my FJ09 yesterday and I heard someone yell "What the hell, is that a Yamaha? 
An older guy was walking over and started asking me about it.  I said yes, and he said he'd never seen one before (they aren't really common around here, but aren't an oddity like the Triumph Tiger).
Said he used to be parts guy at a Yamaha shop south of the city "way back".  Asked how big it was, I said it was an 850cc triple.

He looked at me for a second and said "Really?  Another triple?" and said he had no idea Yamaha had another 3cylinder. He asked what they balance it with, but I have no idea. He said that when he was a parts guy, Yamaha had a 3cylinder "back then" and it was really rough and had a lot of problems because it wasn't balanced well "because of that third cylinder".

I said that this one was really smooth, but that everything was smooth for me because I was coming from a 650 single (2003 KLR).

I googled it, and I suspect he was referring to the XS750 and XS850 triples that were in the 70's and 80's.  No mention on reliability of them in the article.  For those that would know, were the engines that bad?
Also, what is the CP3 balanced with?

I've ridden a XS850 many years ago.  I don't remember any vibration, but I do remember it was fast for its day.  The Yamaha XS650 twins had a lot of vibration.  

Not to hijack this thread, but 4/5 times when an old guy comes over to say something about the bike, it's "is that a BMW?". Old cruiser guys seem to associate any sort of upright, sporty bike as being a BMW and in the best color (which is to say: silver/blurple :P) the FJ stands out pretty well. I'll admit, my ego is stroked a little a every time I get that reaction.

Archived