New to the forum from central Illinois

brashe

I just recently joined the forum primarily to gather information about the FJ-09 from those experienced with it. I currently ride a 2009 Yamaha FJR which has performed flawlessly thus far. While the FJR is a great bike I am finding that my riding has become more short trip/commute/stress-relief oriented and that maybe a lighter, more sport-than-tour, mount might be in order. I have strongly considered the XSR 900 but am now leaning more towards the FJ as it seems a more familiar fit with the FJR. I have read a lot of great information thus far and i appreciate all the shared experiences with the FJ-09.

I just recently joined the forum primarily to gather information about the FJ-09 from those experienced with it. I currently ride a 2009 Yamaha FJR which has performed flawlessly thus far. While the FJR is a great bike I am finding that my riding has become more short trip/commute/stress-relief oriented and that maybe a lighter, more sport-than-tour, mount might be in order. I have strongly considered the XSR 900 but am now leaning more towards the FJ as it seems a more familiar fit with the FJR. I have read a lot of great information thus far and i appreciate all the shared experiences with the FJ-09. 

Yes, the FJ09 fits what you're describing perfectly. I use mine mainly for daily commuting, and some smaller trips <2 hours. Very fun. 
I'm in Wisconsin, and I'm contemplating selling my 2015 next year, so if you're looking for a deal next spring, message me on here.

• Premium Member
Welcome!

I added the FJ09 to complement my ST1100. Hard to beat the ST for consuming miles of asphalt, especially 2-up. The FJ is my "play" bike. Comfy enough to ride all day without having chiropractor on stand-by, and a hoot to ride!

You know that if you buy the Yamaha bag mount kit that the FJR saddlebags will snap on without issue....

Have you been to the Moonshine Lunch Run near Casey, IL?

• Premium Member
The FJ09 is a great commuting, sport touring bike. Light, nimble, narrow.. does pretty much everything.

I've loaded mine up w/ Givi Outback panniers and top box, heated grips and various other bling. I've also gone to Michelin Pilot Power 3s for the wet season (I used to use 2CTs for racing in the rain as I couldn't afford rain tires back then) and dropped the triple clamps on the front forks 15mm (might go 20mm and see if it sharpens up the steering more)

The bike delivers.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the information and I like what I have learned so far regarding the FJ-09. I do intend to purchase one next spring and at this point will probably look for a new 2017, although I am surprised at how many dealers in and around my area still have 2016 models on hand. Since I primarily ride solo, it seems the FJ will provide just what I am looking for as a replacement for my FJR.

Regarding the Moonshine Lunch Run, it is about 3 hours away from where I live. I have only read about the event but have never attended.

Thanks again for all the information.

• Premium Member
Regarding the Moonshine Lunch Run, it is about 3 hours away from where I live. I have only read about the event but have never attended.
3 hours.... not a problem on an FJR!  I've been taking my daughter there for the last 10 years!  1st time, she turned 9 yrs old that weekend.  She turned 18 this year!  We live about 325 miles away and make a weekend of it. 
Ya gotta go next year!  You won't regret it!!

Archived