Greetings from Virginia, US

j4yburgo5

Hello all,

A little background history on me first: Been riding for a few years. Took a long break and now I am back into riding. I had a Katana 750 back in 05 (loved it), then after the long break I bought a Ninja zx6r this year in September. Ended up trading it in yesterday for my new FJ-09 after reading so many good things. I can see why everyone loves it. Its a drastic change after daily riding a 6r, but mostly in a good way.

So far my only two issues are the windscreen which I already know is pretty common. My other problem is lower back pain. Havent read much about it. Ive ridden many other bikes, so far this is the only one that has giving me this issue. Maybe changing the seat would help? Any guidance on this would be extremely welcome.

Welcome, what part of VA? I've had mine since June '17 and I've only passed 1 other FJ around here and that was on 211 going up the mountain. 

I too was getting lower back pain from the FJ however, I have some pre-existing lower back issues. I have a Corbin seat and a Sargent seat both seem to have fixed the lower back issue. The Corbin however introduced some upper back pain for me. I think this is because it changes my body position to be more forward leaning. So I got the Sargent. While not as plush as the Corbin, it retains the stock seat position more and keeps me at a more neutral body position.

If you're going to be all day touring, I'd say go with the Corbin and get bar risers for a happy butt. Otherwise the Sargent is cheaper and works well with the stock bar position. Sargent is definitely harder on the tush though.

some people attribute the back pain to the decidedly inferior shock. Though I suppose a saddle does help with that. please do update your profile to reflect your geograpic location.

Pattonme, I noticed your many posts specially about suspension. I know there are many options for suspension swaps and upgrades. Any suggestions for the lower back pain? In case this makes a difference, Im about 175 with gear. Thanks in advance

• Premium Member
Hello all, 
A little background history on me first: Been riding for a few years. Took a long break and now I am back into riding. I had a Katana 750 back in 05 (loved it), then after the long break I bought a Ninja zx6r this year in September. Ended up trading it in yesterday for my new FJ-09 after reading so many good things. I can see why everyone loves it. Its a drastic change after daily riding a 6r, but mostly in a good way.

So far my only two issues are the windscreen which I already know is pretty common. My other problem is lower back pain. Havent read much about it. Ive ridden many other bikes, so far this is the only one that has giving me this issue. Maybe changing the seat would help? Any guidance on this would be extremely welcome.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new bike. I had back pain until I swapped my seat for the Corbin, but only after riding for more than about an hour. 
Hope you find a reasonable solution, it's too good a bike to have to give up on......

Hello all, 

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new bike. I had back pain until I swapped my seat for the Corbin, but only after riding for more than about an hour. 
Hope you find a reasonable solution, it's too good a bike to have to give up on......

Thanks David. To be quite honest, I have fallen well in love with the bike, enough to want to solve the minor problems rather than giving up on the bike. I already ordered the Vstream Touring windscreen and I think Im going for the corbin next.

Cheers

• Supporting Member
I think Im going for the corbin next. 
While Corbin is probably a quality option (I dont know, I have never tried one) there are several seat  options in addition to just Corbin and Sargent.  Several forum members rave about the Bagster seat and others have had custom seats made, I chose the latter option and couldn't be happier.
Just saying, read through some of these forum posts before jumping on the first option.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
Greeting Burgo, I'm not sure if you have replaced you seat yet, but after riding my "brand new" 2015 model a few weeks it became painfully clear that a new seat was in order. My new Sargent front seat made it almost like a new bike. If not riding two up there is no need to change the rear. Good luck. BTW, are you located near the VA southern border? I'm at Lake Gaston, on the NC/VA border.

Archived