Dealer/Independent Shop in DC Area Recommendations, Please!

PFJohns

My Yamaha dealer in Rockville, MD just closed their doors for good in November; their main shop in Crofton doesn't sell/service Yamahas any longer.

My 2016 FJ-09 is due for its 8,000-mile service soon, and I'm looking for recommendations for a good shop. TIA!

• 1 month later...
This worked out really well- I went to--and can recommend-- this shop.

Turns out Scott used to work for my dealer in Rockville before they closed. Also, his step-father has an FJ-09 on which Scott has worked, so he was familiar with the model. He did a great job at a good price.

So Tusk, thanks for the recommendation. How did you hear about this new shop? Hey wait--Scott said his step-dad is named Tusk! Haha-

:D

Turns out Scott used to work for my dealer in Rockville before they closed. Also, his step-father has an FJ-09 on which Scott has worked, so he was familiar with the model. He did a great job at a good price.

So Tusk, thanks for the recommendation. How did you hear about this new shop? Hey wait--Scott said his step-dad is named Tusk! Haha-

grin.png

Haha! I wonder...

'15 FJ09

grin.png

Ok, busted! I didn't want to inject bias. Yes, Scotty is my Boy! I'm very proud of him and his business. He and his business partner Amanda both worked at Rockville Powersports and got very frustrated with the lack of commitment and quality of the owners there. So, true to his words "I can do this better!", he's doing it as a legit business.

I'm glad you're pleased with the experience.

• 6 months later...
Absolutely! Business has been pretty good for AK Cycles. Scott offers a tow service and winter storage as well. Give him a shout. (240) 583-0469

Scott and Amanda are still slogging through the bureaucracy of Montgomery County Government to get a used bike dealership license/permit. It continues to be a royal pain! But they are persistent and do their homework.

• 2 years later...

Hey Folks, I just wanted to give an update on AK Cycles. My son Scott is still busy with service. And they are a legit used bike dealership now! They offer financing, help with insurance and even offer rentals. They've also expanded and now have a show room with gear. Jackets, helmets and gloves are all in stock. 

51096706347_e94e374f9c_h.jpg

• Thumbsup 1