Stock windscreen, chasing perfection.

nicksta43

I know most people consider the stock shield a lost cause but I decided to see if I could make it work for me. In stock form it's really bad for me in regards to buffeting and noise. It just takes all the joy away from riding the bike.

For the winter I've got the big Givi Touring shield. It does a great job of blocking everything when the temps drop with just a little bit of buffeting that is not a deal breaker.

IMG_20180321_161755625.jpg

For the summer I have been running my little home made screen.

IMG_20180321_184426128.jpg

I like a naked bike but living where I do, with most roads outside of city limits being a 75mph limit even back roads, I've grown weary of the wind blast beating me up and getting my head whipped around all over when I do a lane check at higher speeds. However with the temps already hovering just under the 100 degree mark I need to have some airflow to my body so the Givi is a no go. What I want is just enough airflow to keep cool but very little buffeting and noise and to be able to turn my head without it being ripped off.

I thought I would try to mount the stock screen to the Givi mount. I wanted to test the screen in several different positions on the mount prior to committing to drilling four giant holes in it for the Givi grommets. Luckily I had previously drilled holes to lower the screen on the stock mount so with all those little holes in it I was able to securely zip tie it to the Givi mount for testing.

Testing was done on a 75mph section of road run in both directions for  about 3 miles with the temp around 98.

For the first test I mounted it as low as possible without covering the headlights while adjusted to the lowest setting. That put the widest part of the screen in a position to block too much wind from my body. The buffeting was much worse than stock and it was very noisy. Raising it to the top adjustment didn't effect the buffeting and noise but did allow slightly more airflow to my body.

Next I raised the screen as high as possible without exposing any mounting hardware from underneath. This allowed plenty of airflow to my body. The buffeting was nearly the same but the noise was much worse. It sounded like a Clydesdale was galloping on my helmet. But I also was having no issues turning my head for a lane check and I decided to mount it to the bracket as high as possible and worry about the buffeting and noise later.

While I was drilling the holes I decided to round the top corners of the screen off. I figured a rounded corner would be less likely to produce turbulent air than a sharp corner. Unfortunately this made no perceptible difference in noise or buffeting. I didn't take away any height only rounded the corners. I'll just have to get used to the new look. It's a bit different. 

IMG_20180612_195909.jpg

I ran down to the hardware store and bought some longer bolts and 1" Nylon spacers hoping that playing with the angle would help the noise and buffeting.

First I put the long spacers at the top and the 1/2' Givi spacers at the bottom to stand the screen more upright. This was the worst buffeting I've ever experienced. My vision was blurred it was so bad and it sounded like someone had an air chisel against the helmet.

Next I reversed the above to lay the screen more backwards. Now we are getting somewhere. Considerably smoother air and the noise level is much reduced. It's still a little louder than with my shorty screen but it's a different sound. No air rushing sound but a deep bass thumping sound. Better than with the stock mount for sure. I can easily turn my head without any change in pressure. Definitely on the right track. I think I can play with the angle a little more to get it where I want it but it's livable for the time being. Or maybe one of those little clip on deflectors may help. I measured the angle and it's at 45 degrees at the top.

It's a different look for sure. I like the looks of the stock setup but I bought it to ride not to look at so I'll get used to it.

IMG_20180612_195324235.jpg

IMG_20180612_195259861.jpg

IMG_20180612_195102457.jpg

IMG_20180612_195309080.jpg

BTW, I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I have switched the seat from the tall setting to the low setting and it is a little better noise wise but my legs are a little cramped. I may raise it back up.

• Premium Member
I know most people consider the stock shield a lost cause but I decided to see if I could make it work for me. In stock form it's really bad for me in regards to buffeting and noise. It just takes all the joy away from riding the bike. 
For the winter I've got the big Givi Touring shield. It does a great job of blocking everything when the temps drop with just a little bit of buffeting that is not a deal breaker.

IMG_20180321_161755625.jpg

For the summer I have been running my little home made screen.

IMG_20180321_184426128.jpg

I like a naked bike but living where I do, with most roads outside of city limits being a 75mph limit even back roads, I've grown weary of the wind blast beating me up and getting my head whipped around all over when I do a lane check at higher speeds. However with the temps already hovering just under the 100 degree mark I need to have some airflow to my body so the Givi is a no go. What I want is just enough airflow to keep cool but very little buffeting and noise and to be able to turn my head without it being ripped off.

I thought I would try to mount the stock screen to the Givi mount. I wanted to test the screen in several different positions on the mount prior to committing to drilling four giant holes in it for the Givi grommets. Luckily I had previously drilled holes to lower the screen on the stock mount so with all those little holes in it I was able to securely zip tie it to the Givi mount for testing.

Testing was done on a 75mph section of road run in both directions for  about 3 miles with the temp around 98.

For the first test I mounted it as low as possible without covering the headlights while adjusted to the lowest setting. That put the widest part of the screen in a position to block too much wind from my body. The buffeting was much worse than stock and it was very noisy. Raising it to the top adjustment didn't effect the buffeting and noise but did allow slightly more airflow to my body.

Next I raised the screen as high as possible without exposing any mounting hardware from underneath. This allowed plenty of airflow to my body. The buffeting was nearly the same but the noise was much worse. It sounded like a Clydesdale was galloping on my helmet. But I also was having no issues turning my head for a lane check and I decided to mount it to the bracket as high as possible and worry about the buffeting and noise later.

While I was drilling the holes I decided to round the top corners of the screen off. I figured a rounded corner would be less likely to produce turbulent air than a sharp corner. Unfortunately this made no perceptible difference in noise or buffeting. I didn't take away any height only rounded the corners. I'll just have to get used to the new look. It's a bit different. 

IMG_20180612_195909.jpg

I ran down to the hardware store and bought some longer bolts and 1" Nylon spacers hoping that playing with the angle would help the noise and buffeting.

First I put the long spacers at the top and the 1/2' Givi spacers at the bottom to stand the screen more upright. This was the worst buffeting I've ever experienced. My vision was blurred it was so bad and it sounded like someone had an air chisel against the helmet.

Next I reversed the above to lay the screen more backwards. Now we are getting somewhere. Considerably smoother air and the noise level is much reduced. It's still a little louder than with my shorty screen but it's a different sound. No air rushing sound but a deep bass thumping sound. Better than with the stock mount for sure. I can easily turn my head without any change in pressure. Definitely on the right track. I think I can play with the angle a little more to get it where I want it but it's livable for the time being. Or maybe one of those little clip on deflectors may help. I measured the angle and it's at 45 degrees at the top.

It's a different look for sure. I like the looks of the stock setup but I bought it to ride not to look at so I'll get used to it.

IMG_20180612_195324235.jpg

IMG_20180612_195259861.jpg

IMG_20180612_195102457.jpg

IMG_20180612_195309080.jpg

BTW, I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I have switched the seat from the tall setting to the low setting and it is a little better noise wise but my legs are a little cramped. I may raise it back up.

You really ought to try a Madstad. I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and the Madstad 22" screen works a treat. Good sidewind performance with just enough air flow to be comfortable in both summer and winter. Plus, it is mondo adjustable. 

I've been reading and it seems Madstad and several other places recommend a 60° layback angle for windscreens.

So last night I thought I'd try to reach that. The most I was able to get without really tweaking on the Givi mount was 50°. But man what a difference in the ride into work this morning. Absolutely zero buffeting whatsoever, of course that's in the soft morning air. The ride home will be more telling but I'm certainly calling this a major win. The wind noise is smooth, no low rumble just the soft sound if smooth rushing air. It seems to hit my helmet just at the top of the visor or about where my eyebrows are.

I'm super happy with how it performed this morning.

• Supporting Member
@nicksta43 Glad to hear that you have found a setting that makes a difference. Good tinkering!

I ended up modifying a Puig touring screen from my previous FZ1, I used the stock screen as a template to drill new mount holes.

SLH_1.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I am using the factory mounting hardware, just different mount holes.

Its about the exact same height, but its wider at the base and looks more proportionate to me, the stock screen looks like a last minute effort as it was being rushed to production, it doesn't even fit the dimensions of the mounting plate.

I am using the factory mounting hardware, just different mount holes. 
Its about the exact same height, but its wider at the base and looks more proportionate to me, the stock screen looks like a last minute effort as it was being rushed to production, it doesn't even fit the dimensions of the mounting plate.

Hi there!

Do you have any photos of the mounting process?
Is this the one you have?

https://m.louis.at/artikel/puig-tourenscheibe-louis-edition-getoent-mit-abe-fuer-yamaha-fz1/10009495?filter_bike_id=1741&filter_article_number=10009495&list=406828aafaeef9add3fbef6065006089

• Supporting Member
@EmirF121  Here is the screen ---> Puig Touring Screen - Yamaha FZ1

As far as the mounting process, I just used the 4 factory screws and spacers.

From the photo of the screen in the above link, you can see that the screw holes are along the outer edge for the FZ1, so I used the oem screen as a template and drilled new holes to match, which are much more in the center.

@emirf121   Here is the screen ---> Puig Touring Screen - Yamaha FZ1 

As far as the mounting process, I just used the 4 factory screws and spacers.

From the photo of the screen in the above link, you can see that the screw holes are along the outer edge for the FZ1, so I used the oem screen as a template and drilled new holes to match, which are much more in the center.

Do you have your thread where we can see screen from different angles? How does it compares to the stock screen, i am 1.88 m, would it be any good for me?
I am getting to much buffeting with the stock screen.

• Supporting Member
Do you have your thread where we can see screen from different angles?How does it compares to the stock screen, i am 1.88 m, would it be any good for me?
I am getting to much buffeting with the stock screen.

Wind noise and buffeting is subjective, some riders want "total coverage"  - to be able to hear their engine and ride with the visor open behind a screen, - I dont.  I like feeling the air in my face, clean air.

I am the same height as you and do not get buffeting or turbulence from this screen, but I do hear the wind noise, though I also always wear ear protection.

Here are a few different shots

IMG_0264.jpgLongview.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, betoney said:

Wind noise and buffeting is subjective, some riders want "total coverage"  - to be able to hear their engine and ride with the visor open behind a screen, - I dont.  I like feeling the air in my face, clean air.

I am the same height as you and do not get buffeting or turbulence from this screen, but I do hear the wind noise, though I also always wear ear protection.

Here are a few different shots

IMG_0264.jpgLongview.jpg

I've came back and looked at these pictures countless times since you posted this. I think I've decided to pull the trigger and pick one up. I think it's likely the best looking setup I've seen. 

So my question is how much of the clean air do you contribute to that little variable screen you have on top? 

• Supporting Member

@nicksta43  Honestly, I didn’t notice much of a difference with the air deflector on the screen, not enough to keep it on the bike.   It’s been sitting on my work bench for over a year. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...