"Little Sturgis" rally

1moreroad

• Premium Member
Coincidentally there is a town in Mississippi named Sturgis.  So in summers they host the "Little Sturgis" rally. A few friends in the area recommended it as a day ride.  This year it rained off and on with scattered thunderstorms and local flash flood warnings, so attendance was way down.  Sounds like a big rally would be 200 - 250 bikes. That, by the way, would fill the entire length of main street Sturgis on both sides of the road.  Yesterday there were probably 70 bikes.  I saw license plates from 4 surrounding states.  Mostly Harleys, mostly cruisers, but a couple of Goldwings, BMW K bikes (including an older K-RS which is kind of the proto-FJ if you think about it), and a Honda Dream with FLA tags.

The ride was surprisingly good.  Nothing epic, but nice corners for all but a short stretch of straight highway.  Roads were mostly wet with a lot of puddles.  Went through the even smaller town of Maben, MS on the way.  I need to go check that out some other time.  For a change the Garmin did a good job routing me around gravel roads.  A little rain on the way down and a lot of rain on the way back. :(   I ended up cutting the ride short and coming straight back on highway for the last 50 miles.  My planned route home went through areas known for flooding and potential weekend boat traffic.  Crazy humid, especially when I dressed out in waterproof outers.

The rally was what I expected.  Lots of vests and patches.  It's always nice to talk to the CMA (Christian Motorcyclist Association) folks.  I just avoid the 1%-adjacent clubs (one pic shows a group of Pistoleros in red/gold vests who are associated with the Bandidos).  A Harley-riding friend who is part of a non-cop 1st responder club explained all the rules his club has to follow to safely vest/patch.  shocked.png  "Membership" fees to the Bandidos, support Bandido approved events, displays of respect around Bandidos, coordination with other 1%er clubs to travel outside the state.  1%ers usually leave CMA and Blue Knight (police) associated clubs alone.  Yeesh.  Ballistic nylon (and track leathers occasionally) for me.

I parked next to a new club from south MS.  Nice folks.  CMA-types, but it's a new club so not associated with the larger CMA organization yet.  They were told that they were lucky this was a small gathering since they were vest/patch but didn't have permission to attend.  I think their president is calling the CMA tomorrow.

6056071.jpg  

6056072.jpg

I parked next to a new club from south MS. Nice folks. CMA-types, but it's a new club so not associated with the larger CMA organization yet. They were told that they were lucky this was a small gathering since they were vest/patch but didn't have permission to attend.

Gosh, really?  How decent of them.   ::)

Do I need their permission to buy and wear a "Sons of Arthritis" tee shirt?

The rally was what I expected.  Lots of vests and patches.  It's always nice to talk to the CMA (Christian Motorcyclist Association) folks.  I just avoid the 1%-adjacent clubs (one pic shows a group of Pistoleros in red/gold vests who are associated with the Bandidos).  A Harley-riding friend who is part of a non-cop 1st responder club explained all the rules his club has to follow to safely vest/patch.  shocked.png  "Membership" fees to the Bandidos, support Bandido approved events, displays of respect around Bandidos, coordination with other 1%er clubs to travel outside the state.  1%ers usually leave CMA and Blue Knight (police) associated clubs alone.  Yeesh.  Ballistic nylon (and track leathers occasionally) for me. 

And that right there is why I don't go to these types of motorcycle events... It's only camping type rallies for me... Barber, March Moto Madness, Ribfest, etc. I'm not dealing with those types of shitty people. 

Archived