Hi from Texas Hill Country

vtwin996

I got the GT900 about 3 weeks ago and have put 2600 miles on it including a 2000 mile trip to NM.
I've had a lot of bikes in the past including a Concours 1000, Concours 1400, ST1300, FJR and several smaller road bikes and several Dual Sport bikes.
I trade a BMW R1200R and a BMW F800R for the Tracer and still have a WR250R for playing in the dirt.

1st impressions are very favorable. Same minor things most people seem to have... Fuel gauge, thumbwheel takes getting used to. Jury is still out on the seat. I will try my Airhawk on the next long ride.

I bought the Yamaha touring windshield which I like for the distance days but will go back to stock for day rides in the Texas 100 degree heat. I also got the Yamaha luggage rack for carrying a soft drybag for touring.

I also got the Fender Extenda and radiator protector which I haven't put on yet. I once got stuck 600 miles from home with a small rock through the radiator on the FJR. Not fun....

I'll be 70 next year and the Tracer had sparked some enthusiasm for riding that had started to wane over the last couple of years.

• Supporting Member
Congratulations on the new bike, it’s quite a change from the larger bikes you owned previously. Lighter and flickable yet still comfortable and capable on a week long road trip.

Enjoy!!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'll be 70 next year and the Tracer had sparked some enthusiasm for riding that had started to wane over the last couple of years. 

After many years on a series of BMW boxer twins - R1200R, R1200GS - I too found exactly this with my first Tracer!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I wasn't really using the R1200 GSA for what it was intended. My wife doesn't want to do multi day rides any more and it was just getting too heavy for me for the day rides, especially with a full tank. I was never really comfortable with the height either. I have a 30 inch in-seam and with the BMW low seat, I always felt like I was sitting 'in' the bike rather than 'on' the bike. After 48000 miles I replaced the stock shocks with the half inch lower Wilber shocks. That helped with flat-footing the bike, but I also wanted to 'cull the herd' and go from 3 bikes to 2.
The F800R was a great day ride bike but not up to day long touring so I ended up getting a bike that will be good for day rides in the twisties and also solo touring.

Archived