Drag racing: Getting the launch right with the FJ-09

I've been trying to find the best way to launch the FJ from a full stop, drag race style. As all of my practice has been on a private road (not a drag strip or track), and this is my first bike I have ever drag raced, I'm not sure what is fastest. I just have my butt-dyno and gut feel to figure if i'm going faster or not. I have a method, but i'm not sure if its the fastest one.

-Turn off TCS. A mode.

-1st gear roll on throttle from idle feathering the clutch, trying to keep the wheel down.

-shifts at or around 10k-11k rpms.

I've recently flashed the ECU (vcyclenut tune) so it will be interesting to see the difference when I really try to race like this again. Any tips or tricks for a better launch, let me know y'alls thoughts or experiences.

Also for the interested, I've gone head to head with a stock+exhaust 2nd gen FZ1 on my stock+exhaust FJ-09. The FJ-09 takes an early lead on it, but after 90-100 mph the FZ1 starts to walk on me. We'll see what happens now that it's tuned! 

At first just take it easy by doing nice normal everyday daily commute type of take offs to get used to how the track feels, some days they are so tacky or not, how the track feels in smoothness, bumps, dips, any grooves, etc...

You can skip the water box by driving around it... after you feel comfortable, start running as many times as you can... seat time = faster and consistent times

Earlier this year I entered a "bracket race" and was able to produce consistent 11.30s in the 1/4 mile or 7.35s in the 1/8 mile, I was aiming for repeatable times vs "sending it"... That's with TCS on, A mode, 1st gear idle rpm launch and QS shifting at 10k rpms and -1T front sprocket... As for "sending it" I say with the ECU software I had 2WDW use, I say 11.00s may be doable with a little known feature that's very rarely found on the FJ-09 ?, Google search MT 09 launch control, bout 3rd and 4th videos down ... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I would skip the water box for sure like Norcal616 said, I have only ran the strip with traction off in A mode. Just be careful to feather that clutch and not dump it. I almost flipped my bike dumping it at 7000rpm. I have a stock FJ09 and my top speed was 111mph at 11.44 I think you should be able to do 11.00 flat with the speed limiter removed. Take it slow on the first few runs to get the feel and don't get over confident with your launch. Most important have fun keep the shinny side up so you can ride home. and don't forget to post your time slip.

Archived