GT900 handlebar position

vtwin996

On page 4.37 of the owners manual it says that the handlebar can be adjusted to one of two positions to suit the rider preference. I haven't removed the clamps to look but it would appear that you would just loosen he clamps and rotate the bars to where you want them. I don't understand the 2 position thing. It also says this should be done by the dealer! I'm sure that's a liability thing.

Anyone played around with this? I've got short arms and would like to bring the grips further back.

Also, anyone know the torque settings for the clamp bolts?

• Supporting Member
By rotating the lower handlebar holders 180 degrees you can move the bars forward assuming the bikes are shipped in the rear position. The Yamaha shop manual has the torque as follows.

Upper handlebar holder bolts at 16ft-lb
Lowe handlebar holder bolts at 30ft-lb

Hope this works out for you.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
That is what the Yamaha factory shop manual says. You can rotate the handlebar by loosening the top clamps. Make sure you turn the bars fully in each direction to make sure nothing hits.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
So if I reverse the position of the lower posts, the bar ends will be further away from the rider, correct? 
Is there any fine adjustment? Can the bars just be rotated by loosening the top clamps and rotating the bars?
The risers rotate from the bottom, only.  From what I have seen on my bike, buddy’s FJ and showroom models is they come set up with the risers in the closest (rearward) setting, your adjustment would be further away only with the 180 degree rotation.  If you wanted the bars closer still, you would need a set of bar-backs. 
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 years later...

On the 2021 Tracer  9gt it has the same thing maybe exactly idk but I can tell you if it is the same it likely is not worth the effort at all it is SUCH SMALL difference!  Definately less than 1/4" looks more like 1/8"!  Seriously?  HOW is an 1/8" farther forward going to make ANY noticeable difference??   I ride aggressively so I keep the seat in the lower pos even though my legs are plenty long I do it to lower the over all center of mass fr handling then the pegs I keep in the higher position to keep my feet from hitting when cornering as I have trouble remembering to use the ball of my feet on the pegs.  I am using almost the entire rear tire save for less than 1/4" "chicken stripe" so having the pegs in higher pos has probably/maybe? prevented griding peg feelers yet but idk.  I just moved the bars to forward pos have not honestly ridden yet but i seriously seriously doubt that teensy pit will be noticed at all ....anyone think otherwise?  1/8"??   LOL ....I wonder is there aftermarket "risers" designed to lower and move bars forward on the tracer?  Appears to be clearance with the winscreen bodywork and guages etc I would try it if that is available?  UNLESS I pull the trigger on buying a brand new 2023 MT10SP ....I only hesitate for it's weight (465 curb) which is barely lighter than my tracer and then also the rumors that 2024 will bring an entirely new gen R1 (3 cylinder crossplane I imagine WITH turbo!) If that is really true then you KNOW the MT10 will inherit that new engine also!   Then I would be stuck with OLD gen MT10sp lol ....which never know might be best ever than new gen.  I REALLY started lusting after more power when I got beat by over 10seconds riding my Tracer angainst an old gen 09 on 11mile canyon gaining 2500' in altitude.  And it was NOT fider ability because I had just beat the same bike and rider by well over 30seconds coming DOWN the same 11mile section  THAT is how much the extra weight kills the performance of the Tracer9gt...the rider looked lighter than me too a youngster maybe 150llbs and on a 70+ pound lighter bike vs my 200llb with gear weight on 485llb T9gt  That is over 120 extra gross weight that a very similar engine had to pull up that 11miles of twisty road rising half mile in altitude....pretty sure with the MT10SP I would have left that old 09 for dead coming and going