New Guy from Columbus Ohio USA

duhg

• Premium Member
I've been on the forum for a couple of weeks, but now that I've put almost 2k miles on the FJ I am starting to get a feel for it and I think I'll keep it. 

I've been riding for 30 years, done some track days and a little dual sport/adventure riding, AMA life member, MSTA state director. 

I have now owned 2 of each of the following makes:

BMW - R1150R and R1200GS

Honda - Hawk Type II and Hawk GT
Kawasaki - GPZ1100 and KLX650
Suzuki - SV650 and DR650SE
Yamaha - Vision and FJ-09

I'd like to have something Italian someday, but that new Indian FTR1200 looks like it has potential to replace the Ducati Monster on my wish list.

I bought a friend's used 2015 matte gray pictured below.  I like the motor and the relatively light weight.  I have added frame sliders (Shogun) and mirror extenders (ProCycle).  My list of future farkles is long.  I have arranged to have K-tech suspension mods done and plan to add MC Cruise, heated grips, flashed ECU, second power outlet, fenda extenda, radiator guard and the upgraded axle adjusters.  I'm considering the Acerbis Vision hand guards, Tuturo oiler and a block under the side stand so that it doesn't lean over so far.  ;-)

fj_right.jpg

The colored-in states are those I've ridden a motorcycle in.

motorcycle_map_2017.jpg

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new bike.

Is the map a list of all the states you have ridden in? If so, you really need to make it to the west coast.........

• Premium Member
David, Yeah that's my motorcycle map.  While I have visited all 50 states, I have not ridden a motorcycle in all of them.  I have three blocks : south, northeast and west that could be knocked out in 3 separate trips.  The western one would be a long ride.  Alaska is a big ride, but doable.  Hawaii would require a rental. 

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

• Premium Member
David, Yeah that's my motorcycle map.  While I have visited all 50 states, I have not ridden a motorcycle in all of them.  I have three blocks : south, northeast and west that could be knocked out in 3 separate trips.  The western one would be a long ride.  Alaska is a big ride, but doable.  Hawaii would require a rental. 
Well, you have done far more than me, so hats off. Maybe someday I'll win the lottery and just take off riding.....

• Premium Member
Welcome Doug,

Good to see you here! How is Curt's FJ-09 treating you?

So you are gonna get the ECU flashed? Hmmm may I ask why and where and how much? I had it done to my Super Tenere' but haven't felt the need on my FJ-09.

Brick

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Welcome the the fold, Doug!

I had my ECU flashed by 2WheelDynoWorks and like the changes. Throttle not nearly as "snatchy" as before. I haven't addresses suspension, but it is not as bad as many other bikes.

Seat was one of my biggest gripes, and I lucked in to a used RDL that works pretty well. Still may have Terry Adcox do a seat for me, as others here have given him high accolades and his pricing is reasonable.

Mine came with Yamaha heated grips and saddle bags. I've added GIVI engine guards, Yamaha big-azz top box, LED fog lights, FIAAM "Highway Blasters" horns, and a red Whelen TIR3 LED flasher array above the license plate for added attention getting.

The FJ-09 never fails to fill my helmet with an ear-to-ear smile! Such a blast to ride!

Enjoy! And see you down the road!

• Premium Member
Brick, it shows potential.  Once the suspension can handle rough roads, it should be great.  The ECU flash is a maybe.  Calibrating the APS comes first, I think.

Pat, come to the lunch ride next Saturday.

Archived