Luggage options

bigd

New UK owner, picked up my Phantom Blue bike just over a week ago.  Previously had the XSR 900 but found it a bit small/uncomfortable.

Anyhow, deliberating on luggage/bags/rack options.  I plan to take some shortish trips - 2/3 days perhaps.  In addition to the panniers, I'm not sure what else to get.  I've bought an Oxford F-1 tail pack (large) which I will use for day trips and leave the panniers at home so could utilize this

Do I get the Yamaha luggage rail and top box?  Quite pricey at c£350.  I want to be able to pack a tent/sleeping bag etc so thought about a large dry bag on the pillion seat.  Don't have a pillion to worry about.  Or I could get the luggage rail and fix a bag on here rather than the top box.

Quite like the look of the UT806 - Givi Ultima-T Range Waterproof Top Bag 65L but I would expect to need to remove the grab rails, but means I won't need the luggage rail. 

Going round in circles!

Has anyone had the same dilemma and got any suggestion/pics of their 'kit'?

Thanks in advance

Dave

If they make them for the gt, get shad panniers.. You won't save money, but they keep the weight down lower = far mor stable. You can then use your tailback in addition on pillion seat ? I cheated a bit on my fj09 by buying secondhand fjr1300 panniers used. They hooked straight on rail and just needed a footrest bracket. They come off in a jiffy.

20180824-105127.jpg

Oops, didn't realise that. I use a givi n47, but only for light stuff, or storing helmet securely ish when I arrive somewhere. Otherwise it's a lot of weight high and back. Check Yamaha's policy on box with panniers as well. I'm more in favour of putting weight on back seat if you've not got a pilllion, using a waterproof roll closure bag. No zip ! Price is about £40.00 which is a bonus.(lomo style) If you buy givi one, its same thing but pricier. The lomo ones are used for boats and kayaking so damn good at keeping out water. Sooo. I put clothes and toiletries in roll bag,  to take into lodgings. and panniers stay on for stuff I need when out and about such as waterproofs etc. Or if camping, roll bag takes all my camping kit.
Link to lomo and video
https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bag-holdalls-60L.html
BtW, the blue GT looks great ! 

IMG-3808.jpg

• Premium Member
Dry bags are my go to way of taking my stuff. Look at Endurostan. They are a bit more money but built to last a lifetime.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/enduristan-tornado-pack-sack

Fj-09-on-the-road.jpg

FJ-Mississippi.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I think I’ve also come to the same decision. Roll bag or similar on the rear seat! Probably the Oxford Aqua T30 I think or T50. 
Thanks for your replies!
T50. 30 is too small. Think the grey ones are on a price reduction here in uk. The lomo 60 is huge in comparison, like fddrivers. watch out for size variations. Revised previous thread to include vid link.

• Premium Member
I think I’ve also come to the same decision. Roll bag or similar on the rear seat! Probably the Oxford Aqua T30 I think or T50. 
Thanks for your replies!
T50. 30 is too small. Think the grey ones are on a price reduction here in uk. The lomo 60 is huge in comparison, like fddrivers. watch out for size variations. Revised previous thread to include vid link.
Well. It depends. 
In my top picture that is an old Seattle Sports 50L bag the I have used for years while paddling the Florida Everglades and rivers. I found it was way bigger than I needed. I only carry a change of clothes (Non-riding ie. street clothes)  to change into and toiletries in the bag. I keep a couple extra clothing things in the side cases. Mostly weather dependent, extra warm (shorts t-shirt) extra cold (jeans or maybe a light street jacket (shell).  

The bottom picture is a Endurostan 32L which is just about perfect for the way I do things.

As always. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Yes, I was a bit ahead of myself there ! I think I just went big so I could take off one bag, not juggle with several. I think when I looked, the t30 seemed undersized for its capacity and lomo seemed oversize. I went with 40l lomo as it's really big for its rating. Paddling the Everglades, sounds fantastic.

Thanks for your replies!

I wondered about the 30 or 50. Not much diff in length or price so makes sense to go for the 50 I thought. Think the grey one is c£40.

I wondered about the 30 or 50. Not much diff in length or price so makes sense to go for the 50 I thought. Think the grey one is c£40.

........or get the 30 and strap extra smaller roll bag on top I suppose if needed?

• Premium Member
 Paddling the Everglades, sounds fantastic.
Off topic I know. Just remember. It's full of bugs and thirsty raccoons.  

IMG-0170.jpg

Archived