Cleaning a blue GT ?

jesterrich

• Supporting Member
Hi all, what’s the best way to clean the paintwork on a blue GT 
cheers

Jesterrich, this is what I've used on my bikes after reading about it on some forum long ago when I was younger and actually had black hair. 
1.  I've never washed my bikes.  When they need cleaning, I use Lemon Pledge (or Old English) furniture polish.  Use one microfiber cloth for cleaning and another one for buffing . . . on paint, all moto plastics (faceshields, windscreens, headlights, taillights, etc.), acrylic, vinyl, COLD chrome (not hot chrome...bad, bad juju) and cold engine covers.  Been doing this for many, many miles and will continue to do so.  Lemon Pledge also works great on bug splat, too.

2.  WD-40 is great stuff, but not for everything.  I use it to clean off adhesive residue from various stickers on painted panels, gas tanks, frames, etc. (I use a warm hair dryer to first remove said stickers, and then some good ol' WD-40 to clean up the leftover gunk).  As others have pointed out, it works great on cleaning chain fling and brake dust off wheels, too.  If you use it to clean adhesive gunk off paint, you can then clean off the WD-40 residue with a touch of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth, if so desired.

3.  Cleaning chains:  Very subjective topic.  Again, I read about using kerosene and a rag (or two) long ago and have used kero ever since.  It's petroleum-based and doesn't harm the chain's o-rings.  After cleaning, I take the bike out for a short spin (1 or 2 miles) to warm up the chain and then lube it liberally with Dupont Teflon spray that I buy at Walmart, Lowe's or some other hardware store, or order off Amazon.  Again, this is what works for me and what I will use until my riding days are over.  Obviously there are LOTS of cleaning and lubing options out there, and everyone has their own preferences.  To each their own...

Just my 2 cents; YMMV.  Lotsa luck and stay safe out there!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Archived